Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Difficulty Sending GraphQL POST Requests Using InvokeHTTP Processor

Explorer

I'm encountering challenges when using the InvokeHTTP processor in Apache NiFi to send GraphQL POST requests. Specifically, I'm trying to execute GraphQL mutations via POST but facing difficulties in configuring the InvokeHTTP processor to handle these requests properly.

Problem:

I've set up an InvokeHTTP processor to send GraphQL mutation requests via POST to a specific endpoint. However, the requests don't seem to be reaching the GraphQL server as expected.

Details:

• The InvokeHTTP processor is configured with the following properties:

• HTTP Method: POST
    • Remote URL: myURL...!
    • Headers: Content-Type: application/json, Accept: application/json
    • Send Parameters in: Body
  • The body content is constructed in JSON format as required by the GraphQL server. It includes the mutation query and variables.

Request for Help:

I'm seeking guidance on how to properly configure the InvokeHTTP processor in NiFi to successfully send GraphQL POST requests. If anyone has experience using InvokeHTTP for GraphQL mutations or suggestions for troubleshooting this issue, I would greatly appreciate your insights.

Fayza_0-1701866239577.png

Fayza_1-1701866259190.png

Fayza_2-1701866279654.png

Fayza_3-1701866307117.png

QUERY: {
"query": "mutation AddUser($input: [AddUserInput!]!, $upsert: Boolean) { addUser(input: $input, upsert: $upsert) { user { name } } }",
"variables": {
"input": [
{
"name": "Ali",
"username": "Ali",
"phone1": "111222333",
"address": "LAHORE"
}
],
"upsert": false
}
}

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Explorer

@steven-matison  Thank you for responding..!

By using

HTTP Method: POST
HTTP URL: MyURL
Request Content-Type: application/json

and all other parms are sending through the "GenerateFlowFile" and then remove whitespaces by "ReplaceText" processor.

This flow will send the data to the GraphQL database.

View solution in original post

@Fayza Nice work.  If you can, you should try to remove ReplaceText.  You should be able to get the payload exactly how you want it in text input box for GenerateFlowFile.   

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

@Fayza  Without seeing any error it is impossible for us to solve a specific problem.   That said, I have some suggestions.

1.  Always make sure you have a working api call. For example: Use Postman.  You need to 100% know the call is working, auth, headers, proper format, proper payload, etc.  This also makes sure the receiving end is open (networking, firewall, etc).

2.  Test invokteHTTP without routing fail,retry,no-retry back to the processor.  I use an output port for everything other than response.  In testing, you need to know what happened.  Inspect flowfile attributes inside of fail,retry, no-retry, to get more details. When i know my flow works, i may auto terminate, or re-route failure back to processor again, but NOT during testing/creation of the flow.

3.  Last but not least, make sure that nifi host(s) are able to reach the endpoint.  I suspect this is the issue you are bumping into.  

If you get invokeHttp talking to the endpoint, you should be seeing more details as to what if any errors are in the mutation payload.   

Explorer

Hey @steven-matison  Thank you for responding.

I have defined the Body Content:

Fayza_0-1701869240768.png

Can you provide me any information in the form of article of any other sources  where I can find the POST data of GraphQL. So, that It will help full for me.

Actually, I have CURL command which is in working state. I try it too. Data from POSTMAN has been sending but as I define the Method and URL in the InvokedHTTP processor. Can you tell me where I can manage my post request data???

Thank you again 

Explorer

@steven-matison 

I want to POST the data by using Apache NiFi?

I have CURL Command of GraphQL only

You need to send a flowfile to InvokeHttp that has the content you want.   Make this flow to test:  GenerateFlowfile (body of flowfile is the JSON payload), route to InvokeHttp.  Your post headers are added to InvokeHttp in similar manner as to how you did "Body Content".

Explorer

@steven-matison  Thank you for responding..!

By using

HTTP Method: POST
HTTP URL: MyURL
Request Content-Type: application/json

and all other parms are sending through the "GenerateFlowFile" and then remove whitespaces by "ReplaceText" processor.

This flow will send the data to the GraphQL database.

@Fayza Nice work.  If you can, you should try to remove ReplaceText.  You should be able to get the payload exactly how you want it in text input box for GenerateFlowFile.