Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Do I need to purchase support in order to create a SmartSense account to install HDP using Ambari server/

New Contributor

Hello - I'm a newbie and trying out the HDP 2.6.5.0 install using the Ambari UI setup wizard. I get to the "Customize Services" section and it tells me that I need to enter my SmartSense account info. I've read on here that I need to sign up for HortonWorks support in order to get this info. Is this true? If so, how do I sign up, and is there a free or trial version?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Richard Hagarty,

You do not need to have a Hortonworks support subscription in order to install HDP. The parameters that you mentioned are optional and you can proceed without entering them.

Yes, SmartSense is installed on your cluster by default but in order to use its features you must have a support supscription.

If you do obtain the subscription and provide its ID to SmartSense, you will be able to contact Hortonworks support regarding any issues with your cluster, and you will be able to access a set of features such as activity analysis, cluster recommendations, and activity explorer.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

New Contributor

FYI - the Ambari Server version is 2.6.1.0

@Richard Hagarty Yes, you need to have a support subscription to upload and access smart sense data analysis results. Please review this here:

https://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/SS1/SmartSense-1.4.5/bk_installation/content/smartsense_do...

If so, how do I sign up, and is there a free or trial version?

Please go to hortonworks.com site and use the contact form or phone # to get more information about subscription and any other questions you may have.

HTH

*** If you found this answer addressed your question, please take a moment to login and click the "accept" link on the answer.

New Contributor

Thanks for the reply.

Just to be clear, the use of the SmartSense service is required, correct? I couldn't find a way to turn that service off, or disable it.

Yes, while configuring the cluster first time that service will be automatically selected for you. But as Dominika mentioned below you can proceed without entering the values.

Hi @Richard Hagarty,

You do not need to have a Hortonworks support subscription in order to install HDP. The parameters that you mentioned are optional and you can proceed without entering them.

Yes, SmartSense is installed on your cluster by default but in order to use its features you must have a support supscription.

If you do obtain the subscription and provide its ID to SmartSense, you will be able to contact Hortonworks support regarding any issues with your cluster, and you will be able to access a set of features such as activity analysis, cluster recommendations, and activity explorer.

New Contributor

I am not looking to use smartsense as of now. how can I proceed with my installation. I didnt see any option to deselect this service and smartsense id is a mandatory field.smartsense-id.pngsmartsense-error.png

@Vipin Gupta From the screenshot, it looks like your error is related to upgrade or some other issues, and not to the parameters described in this thread. I would recommend that you post this as a new thread.