Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Docker Sandbox 2.5 starts ok, but lots not working

Explorer

Hi guys

I'm just starting with HDP, and want to play with the Sandbox. I'm using an Ubuntu 14.04 VM with 11GB of RAM and the latest version of Docker. The computer is an i7 laptop with 16GB of RAM.

The container starts ok, and all of the HDP services appear to start OK, except for a warning from ambari-agent about a missing TERM variable. Available memory goes from 10GB to 2GB free, no swap.

I can connect to :8888, but when I try to use the Ambari quick link, it fails with "Connection reset".

I ssh'd into the docker container to see what's happening. When I check, I find that the ambari-server service is not running (and lots of other stuff too). When I try to start ambari-service manually, it fails when it tries to start PostgreSQL. When I try to start that manually, it fails with no error message.

I'm stuck. Anyone have any idea why the system seems to start OK, but parts of it die shortly after?

BTW, after various attempts to sort this out, I started with a fresh Docker container, plenty of RAM and swap, but the same symptoms: lots of dead services.

Thanks!

Cheers, Steve.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Explorer

BTW, I've found a workaround: I'm now running the Sandbox 2.5 docker image using Docker for Windows beta 34 with 11GB allocated on my Win10 Enterprise machine. Works flawlessly. All I needed to do was take the key part of the startup script and turn it into a CMD file.

It would still be interesting to find why the Docker image running in an Ubuntu 14.04 VM with the same memory allocation on Win10 Hyper-V didn't work properly. It's clearly not the image. May save someone else some anguish.

Thanks.

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

Expert Contributor

@Stephen Russell,

Are you running the container in privileged mode?

Explorer

Hi @glupu

Yes, I am, as per the startup script in github.

Expert Contributor

Can you have a look in the postgresql logs to see what the error is? Does mysqld start and if not what's the error. I have a feeling this has to do with appArmor on ubuntu. (Also you could download the virtualbox solution that has the container nested inside a centos7 machine while we try to debug).

Explorer

Hi again

Thanks for the help. I don't have Ubuntu or Sandbox running at the moment; see below. But I do recall that mysqld was running when I checked the services.

Alas, I can't download the virtualbox or vmware solutions. I am currently at a remote site, and don't have the bandwidth. And I need Hyper-V running for my day job.

I was able to follow the Mac instructions at http://hortonworks.com/hadoop-tutorial/hortonworks-sandbox-guide/#section_4 to get the 2.5 Docker-based Sandbox working fine on my MBPro. I was able stop restart the box several times and run the start_up script to get all services running.

It'll probably be at least a few days from now, but I'm hopeful I can try it out on Ubuntu. @Rafael Coss, I'm betting y'all have not trouble with the Docker image on Ubuntu, but wondering what version y'all tested on. 16.x I guess?

Explorer

Hi @Lester Martin

Thanks for your feedback. As you will see below, Sandbox 2.5 is running fine in Docker for Windows. So it does appear to be a Ubuntu 14.04 + latest Docker issue.

Sounds like you got going and that's the most important thing. Good to see some many folks chiming in to help you out!! Happy Hadooping!

Explorer

BTW, I've found a workaround: I'm now running the Sandbox 2.5 docker image using Docker for Windows beta 34 with 11GB allocated on my Win10 Enterprise machine. Works flawlessly. All I needed to do was take the key part of the startup script and turn it into a CMD file.

It would still be interesting to find why the Docker image running in an Ubuntu 14.04 VM with the same memory allocation on Win10 Hyper-V didn't work properly. It's clearly not the image. May save someone else some anguish.

Thanks.

Looks like @Artem Ervits helped you out here with reputation points by marking your answer to your own question as the "Best Answer". 😉 Seriously, I am glad you got rolling and it would be good to know more what the underlying Ubuntu 14 issue is if it gets clarified by you or someone else reading this thread.