Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Downloading HDP on Windows 10 Git Bash error

Explorer

I'm downloading HDK on Windows 10. I have made sure I have all the system requirements and software installed. I have also changed my local host name to sandbox.hortonworks.com on my note pad as an administrator. On the second step where it asks me to enter echo '{Host-Name} sandbox.hortonworks.com' | tee -a /c/Windows/System32/Drivers/etc/hosts in my Git Bash I receive a a "Permission Denied" prompt. I've checked my firewall settings as well and I cant seem to troubleshoot this myself. Any help is thoroughly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Master Mentor

@Jonathan Turner

Can you please let us know exactly when you are getting "permission Denied" error.

It will be really great if you can share the screenshot of the error or the complete screenshot.

Can you please try any of the following approach? 1. Try using the command with "sudo" as following:

echo'{Host-Name} sandbox.hortonworks.com'| sudo tee -a /c/Windows/System32/Drivers/etc/hosts

(OR)

2. Manually Edit the file without using command. - Open "Notepad" on Windows by right clicking on the Notepad and select 'Run as Administrator'

- Open the file "c:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts"

- Add the hostname in the following format -

{Host-Name} sandbox.hortonworks.com

- Save the changes and try again.

(OR)

3. Try opening the "Git Bash" in 'Run as Administrator' mode and then run the commands.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Master Mentor

@Jonathan Turner

Can you please let us know exactly when you are getting "permission Denied" error.

It will be really great if you can share the screenshot of the error or the complete screenshot.

Can you please try any of the following approach? 1. Try using the command with "sudo" as following:

echo'{Host-Name} sandbox.hortonworks.com'| sudo tee -a /c/Windows/System32/Drivers/etc/hosts

(OR)

2. Manually Edit the file without using command. - Open "Notepad" on Windows by right clicking on the Notepad and select 'Run as Administrator'

- Open the file "c:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts"

- Add the hostname in the following format -

{Host-Name} sandbox.hortonworks.com

- Save the changes and try again.

(OR)

3. Try opening the "Git Bash" in 'Run as Administrator' mode and then run the commands.

Master Mentor

@Jonathan Turner

If this helped you in getting the solution then please mark this thread as "Answered" (By clicking on the "Accept" link) This helps many HCC users to quickly find out the correct answer.

Explorer

I ran my Git Bash as an Administrator and it has accepted the original prompt. Thank you for your help. On to the next step!