Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Dynamically change Kafka properties without restart of cluster or servers

Highlighted

Dynamically change Kafka properties without restart of cluster or servers

New Contributor

I have some questions related to properties of Kafka.

1. Can we change the topic name that a producer is writing to 2. Can we change the bootstrap server list 3. Can we change the consumer group name

4. Can we change the number of consumers etc. and be able to verify and measure that the change is picked up and did not result in lost or duplicate message nor introduce any consumer lag Is it possible to change these properties without restarting the servers ? I mean can we change these dynamically ?

1 REPLY 1

Re: Dynamically change Kafka properties without restart of cluster or servers

New Contributor

1. Can we change the topic name that a producer is writing to?

If you are referring to rename of existing topic , then No, we can not rename. We need to create new topic with new name.

If you are referring to Producer API, Then we can use same Producer instance to send messages to different topics.

2. Can we change the bootstrap server list ?

No, we can not change , Need to restart producer to update bootstrap server properties

3. Can we change the consumer group name

No, we can not change, Need to restart consumer to update groupId

4. Can we change the number of consumers etc. and be able to verify and measure that the change is picked up and did not result in lost or duplicate message nor introduce any consumer lag Is it possible to change these properties without restarting the servers ? I mean can we change these dynamically ?

we can add more consumer instances for the same consumer group. This way we can distribute the partitions to more consumers.

Don't have an account?
Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here