Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Error: can't discover Solr URI. Please specify it explicitly via --solr.

New Contributor

Receiving the following error message when executing Tutorial #4 (Explore Log Events Interactively).  Can someone help?

[cloudera@quickstart flume]$ solrctl --zk 127.0.0.1:2181/solr collection --create live_logs -s 1
Error: can't discover Solr URI. Please specify it explicitly via --solr.

-Jeff.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Guru

So the correct way to specify the Solr URL would be "--solr http://quickstart.cloudera:8983/solr", but that is equivalent to what solrtctl should do if you don't specify anything in this case. If I stop the solr-server service and try the command I get the exact same error as you, so let's have a look at what errors you can find in /var/log/solr/solr.out or /var/log/solr/catalina*.log. Note that you'll need to run the 'service' commands with 'sudo'.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Guru

Jeff,

I'm going to try a few things and see if I can replicate the problem to suggest a solution, but while I'm doing that I suspect this might mean the Solr service is not running. Can you run 'service solr-server status' and see if it is? If you've launched Cloudera Manager then check in Cloudera Manger instead of using the command-line. If it's not running, check the logs in /var/log/solr/ to see if there are any errors you can post, or simply try restarting the service with 'service solr-server restart'.

Guru

So the correct way to specify the Solr URL would be "--solr http://quickstart.cloudera:8983/solr", but that is equivalent to what solrtctl should do if you don't specify anything in this case. If I stop the solr-server service and try the command I get the exact same error as you, so let's have a look at what errors you can find in /var/log/solr/solr.out or /var/log/solr/catalina*.log. Note that you'll need to run the 'service' commands with 'sudo'.