Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Error in Kafka startup with the JMX exporter - java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Collector already registered that provides name: jmx_scrape_duration_seconds

Expert Contributor

Hi All,

I'm trying to integrate Prometheus to collect Kafka metrics.

I'm getting error in starting up Kafka, with the JMX exporter passed as java agent. Error is as shown below, any ideas ?

---------------------------------------------------

[root@nwk2-bdp-kafka-06 kafka]# KAFKA_OPTS="$KAFKA_OPTS -javaagent:/usr/hdp/2.5.3.0-37/prometheus/jmx_prometheus_javaagent-0.9.jar=7071:/usr/hdp/2.5.3.0-37/prometheus/jmx_exporter.yaml" ./bin/kafka-server-start.sh config/server.properties 2017-07-07 00:44:31.781:INFO:ipjsoejs.Server:jetty-8.y.z-SNAPSHOT 2017-07-07 00:44:31.866:INFO:ipjsoejs.AbstractConnector:Started SelectChannelConnector@0.0.0.0:7071 Exception in thread "main" java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method) at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62) at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43) at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498) at sun.instrument.InstrumentationImpl.loadClassAndStartAgent(InstrumentationImpl.java:386) at sun.instrument.InstrumentationImpl.loadClassAndCallPremain(InstrumentationImpl.java:401) Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Collector already registered that provides name: jmx_scrape_duration_seconds at io.prometheus.jmx.shaded.io.prometheus.client.CollectorRegistry.register(CollectorRegistry.java:54) at io.prometheus.jmx.shaded.io.prometheus.client.Collector.register(Collector.java:128) at io.prometheus.jmx.shaded.io.prometheus.client.Collector.register(Collector.java:121) at io.prometheus.jmx.shaded.io.prometheus.jmx.JavaAgent.premain(JavaAgent.java:38)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Expert Contributor

this was fixed, there possibly seemed duplicate processes started, i killed all the services & restarted.

That fixed the issue.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Expert Contributor

@mqureshi, @liran nahum - loopig you in, any ideas on this ?

Super Guru

@Karan Alang

I have not done this but it seems like that collector is already there, at least by that name. Can you change the name and try it?

Expert Contributor

this was fixed, there possibly seemed duplicate processes started, i killed all the services & restarted.

That fixed the issue.

Explorer

@Karan Alang

It's probably because -javaagent config was loaded twice or more in env loading.

It happens when a variable is set like this in env config : KAFKA_OPT="$KAFKA_OPTS -java-agent:..." or JAVA_OPT="$JAVA_OPTS -java-agent:..."

And variable is loaded twice during startup.