Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Error launching sparkR

New Contributor

I have sparkR and R installed on my Ubuntu machine. When I try to launch sparkR through the terminal, I get the following error:

Error in eval(expr, envir, enclos) : could not find function ".getNamespace" Error: unable to load R code in package ‘SparkR’ During startup - Warning message: package ‘SparkR’ in options("defaultPackages") was not found

Could you please help me fix this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Pratik Shirbhate

I think answer to your issue is described here:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/15809414/could-not-find-function-getnamespace

Here is the brief of it:

"The .getNamespace function is part of R 3.0.0. The warning message states that the package you installed was built for R 3.0, not 2.15. The package is trying to use the .getNamespace function, but does not find it as it is not part of R 2.15. You can either upgrade to R 3.0 (which seems to be a bit experimental right now) or install the R 2.xx version of the package."

*** If you found this answer addressed your question, please take a moment to login and click the "accept" link on the answer.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

@Pratik Shirbhate

I think answer to your issue is described here:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/15809414/could-not-find-function-getnamespace

Here is the brief of it:

"The .getNamespace function is part of R 3.0.0. The warning message states that the package you installed was built for R 3.0, not 2.15. The package is trying to use the .getNamespace function, but does not find it as it is not part of R 2.15. You can either upgrade to R 3.0 (which seems to be a bit experimental right now) or install the R 2.xx version of the package."

*** If you found this answer addressed your question, please take a moment to login and click the "accept" link on the answer.

New Contributor

Thank you Felix, I upgraded R 2.14.1 to R 3.2.5 using below commands and I could successfully launched sparkR through terminal.

Add PPA: sudo add-apt-repository ppa:marutter/rrutter

Update ubuntu for upgrade: sudo apt-get update

Upgrade R (This is a generic ubuntu command) sudo apt-get upgrade

New Contributor

However when I try to launch R, I get the following error:

"Error in loadNamespace(name) : there is no package called ‘SparkR’
During startup - Warning messages:
1: In library(package, lib.loc = lib.loc, character.only = TRUE, logical.return = TRUE, :
there is no package called ‘SparkR’
2: package ‘SparkR’ in options("defaultPackages") was not found"

Do I need to install an additional 'sparkR' package within R?