Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Error when creating a Kudu table through Impala JDBC driver : table owner must not be null or empty

Explorer

Hello, 

We've recently migrated CDH from 5.16.2 to 6.3.3 and we now have the following message when we create a table using Impala JDBC driver (we are using the latest version 2.6.15.1017).

errorMessage:ImpalaRuntimeException: Error creating Kudu table 'impala::pdo.discoveries'
CAUSED BY: IllegalArgumentException: table owner must not be null or empty

When the same "create table" statement is executed in impala-shell, it works perfectly well.

The search for this error message in google did not find much result.

Any idea about the root cause ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

New Contributor

Hello,

I got the same issue as yours. I am running Kudu and Impala in docker. I can create tables from impala-shell but not using JDBC driver.

Is there any solution for this?

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

New Contributor

Hello,

I got the same issue as yours. I am running Kudu and Impala in docker. I can create tables from impala-shell but not using JDBC driver.

Is there any solution for this?

New Contributor

Hello,

I tried with AuthMech=2 with UID as mentioned in the Cloudera Impala JDBC Driver documentation but I got HIveServer2 connection issue.

When I tried with AuthMech=0, along with UID (In my case no authentication is needed), it resolved the table owner error.

My connection string looks like -

jdbc:impala://localhost:21050/default;UseSasl=0;AuthMech=0;UID=impala

Hope this will resolve your issue as well.

Expert Contributor

Hi @JeromeAlbin 

Looks like https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IMPALA-9486

The Error pop up  because you are connecting to Impala anonymously (no user, no password).
You can specify a user (even if it's not declared in Kudu), then it should work

Please read the page 12 of the following document: https://docs.cloudera.com/documentation/other/connectors/impala-jdbc/2-6-15/Cloudera-JDBC-Driver-for...
Using User Name
-----------------------
This authentication mechanism requires a user name but does not require a password.
The user name labels the session, facilitating database tracking.

Does that answer your question ? if yes, then feel free to mark this post "accept as solution"

Regards,

vipin