Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Error when sending message to topic in Kafka

Error when sending message to topic in Kafka

Explorer

/vol_01/cloudera/parcels/KAFKA-2.0.0-1.kafka2.0.0.p0.12/bin/kafka-console-producer --broker-list localhost:9092 --topic t1
Hi Hello
[2016-05-29 01:24:02,381] ERROR Error when sending message to topic t1 with key: null, value: 8 bytes with error: Failed to update metadata after 60000 ms. (org.apache.kafka.clients.producer.internals.ErrorLoggingCallback)

In server.properties file, i have changed the added below lines:

advertised.host.name=localhost

advertised.port=2181

In zookeeper.properties file, i have changed the below lines:

dataDir=/vol_01/lib/zookeeper  (as per the settings)
clientPort=2181
maxClientCnxns=0

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Error when sending message to topic in Kafka

Super Collaborator
Can you confirm if you have the "Topic Auto Creation" disabled: auto.create.topics.enable=false

If so, have you created the t1 topic beforehand?

Can you do the following:
kafka-topics --zookeeper <zkhost>:2181 --list
kafka-topics --zookeeper <zkhost>:2181 --describe --topic t1

Explorer
Hi,

I have topic auto creation enabled in kafka when I got the error previously. I tried it now after disabling auto creation and again I'm getting the same result, along with the list topic and describe topic returning nothing.

/vol_01/cloudera/parcels/KAFKA-2.0.0-1.kafka2.0.0.p0.12/bin/kafka-console-producer --broker-list localhost:9092 --topic t1
Hi Hello

ERROR Error when sending message to topic t1 with key: null, value: 8 bytes with error: Failed to update metadata after 60000 ms. (org.apache.kafka.clients.producer.internals.ErrorLoggingCallback)

Rising Star

can you check listener value in kafka.propertie 

and try to change it from 

listeners=PLAINTEXT://hostname:9092

to

listeners=PLAINTEXT://0.0.0.0:9092

New Contributor

hi,

even i am facing the similar error, need help despreadly

org.apache.kafka.common.errors.TimeoutException: Failed to update metadata after 60000 ms
ERROR Error when sending message to topic binary_kafka_source with key: null, value: 175 bytes with error: (org.apache.kafka.clients.producer.internals.ErrorLoggingCallback)

and zookeepre keeps disconnecting and connecting

7/11/16 12:23:23 INFO zkclient.ZkClient: zookeeper state changed (Disconnected)
17/11/16 12:23:23 INFO zkclient.ZkClient: zookeeper state changed (Disconnected)
17/11/16 12:23:24 INFO zkclient.ZkClient: zookeeper state changed (SyncConnected)
17/11/16 12:23:24 INFO zkclient.ZkClient: zookeeper state changed (SyncConnected)
17/11/16 12:24:03 INFO zkclient.ZkClient: zookeeper state changed (Disconnected)
17/11/16 12:24:03 INFO zkclient.ZkClient: zookeeper state changed (Disconnected)

New Contributor
didnt work

Explorer
Don't have an account?
Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here