Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Error while executing SelecftHiveQL

Super Collaborator

Hello I've created HiveConnectionPool in controller services so i could execute SelectHiveQL processor. The connection parameters for hive are good (i know this because if i enter a wrong user or password in the connection settings it fails due to login error) but when i execute the Select HiveQL processor it fails with the following error:

2016-08-17 10:56:46,159 ERROR [Timer-Driven Process Thread-6] o.a.nifi.processors.hive.SelectHive QL SelectHiveQL[id=dc11ed58-3734-4100-bc92-0202d88d9480] SelectHiveQL[id=dc11ed58-3734-4100-bc92- 0202d88d9480] failed to process session due to java.lang.NullPointerException: java.lang.NullPoin terException 2016-08-17 10:56:46,159 ERROR [Timer-Driven Process Thread-6] o.a.nifi.processors.hive.SelectHive QL java.lang.NullPointerException: null

6709-capture.png

6710-untitled.png

Any ideas what i'm doing wrong ?

Thank you,

Adi J

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Master Guru

You probably have null values in your table and are encountering this bug: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NIFI-2602. It will be fixed for NiFi 1.0 / HDF 2.0.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Hi @Adi Jabkowsky,

Could you share the stack trace you will find in <NIFI_HOME>/logs/nifi-app.log ?

Also, could you indicate which version of NiFi you are running? It does sound like a bug, but it may already be resolved.

Thanks.

Super Collaborator

Hi @Pierre Villard Unfortunately there is no stack trace. Just this error as is. Also, it only happens when output format is "CSV". Using "Avro" it succeeds without errors - but i have no idea where the output results are (not familiar with Avro). My goal is to select data from hive and insert it to another table. If i don't get a file with all the output of the select - how can i insert the output ? Btw, we are using 0.70 NiFi

Master Guru

What does your table look like? I'm wondering if there are special characters in the column names, complex datatypes, etc.

Master Guru

You probably have null values in your table and are encountering this bug: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NIFI-2602. It will be fixed for NiFi 1.0 / HDF 2.0.

Super Collaborator

Thank you @Matt Burgess