Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Exception while connecting hive and sparkThe root scratch dir: /tmp/hive on HDFS should be writable. Current permissions are: rwxrwxr-x

Rising Star

I m using Spark 2.4.5, Hive 3.1.2, Hadoop 3.2.1. While running hive in spark i got the following exception,

Exception in thread "main" org.apache.spark.sql.AnalysisException: java.lang.RuntimeException: The root scratch dir: /tmp/hive on HDFS should be writable. Current permissions are: rwxrwxr-x; 

This is my source code,

package com.spark.hiveconnect

import java.io.File

import org.apache.spark.sql.{Row, SaveMode, SparkSession}

object sourceToHIve {
  case class Record(key: Int, value: String)
  def main(args: Array[String]){
    val warehouseLocation = new File("spark-warehouse").getAbsolutePath

val spark = SparkSession
      .builder()
      .appName("Spark Hive Example").master("local")
      .config("spark.sql.warehouse.dir", warehouseLocation)
      .enableHiveSupport()
      .getOrCreate()

import spark.implicits._
    import spark.sql

sql("CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS src (key INT, value STRING) USING hive")    sql("LOAD DATA LOCAL INPATH '/usr/local/spark3/examples/src/main/resources/kv1.txt' INTO TABLE src")    sql("SELECT * FROM src").show()    spark.stop()
  }

}

This is my sbt file

name := "SparkHive"version := "0.1"scalaVersion := "2.12.10"libraryDependencies += "org.apache.spark" %% "spark-core" % "2.4.5"
libraryDependencies += "org.apache.spark" %% "spark-sql" % "2.4.5"
libraryDependencies += "mysql" % "mysql-connector-java" % "8.0.19"
libraryDependencies += "org.apache.spark" %% "spark-hive" % "2.4.5"

How can solve this Issue? While observing the console i also saw this statement, is this the reason why i am getting this issue.

20/05/28 14:03:04 INFO SecurityManager: SecurityManager: authentication disabled; ui acls disabled; users  with view permissions: Set(UDHAV.MAHATA); groups with view permissions: Set(); users  with modify permissions: Set(UDHAV.MAHATA); groups with modify permissions: Set()

Can anyone help me?

Thank You!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Super Guru

@Udhav  You can solve the issue by making /tmp/hive writeable:

hdfs dfs -chmod 777 /tmp/hive

when complete you should see the correct permissions as follows (drwxrwxrwx):

[hdfs@hdp ~]$ hdfs dfs -chmod 777 /tmp/hive
[hdfs@hdp ~]$ hdfs dfs -ls /tmp | grep hive
drwxrwxrwx   - hive   hdfs            0 2020-04-14 13:33 /tmp

If this answer resolves your issue or allows you to move forward, please choose to ACCEPT this solution and close this topic. If you have further dialogue on this topic please comment here or feel free to private message me. If you have new questions related to your Use Case please create separate topic and feel free to tag me in your post.  

Thanks,

Steven @ DFHZ

View solution in original post

Super Guru

@Udhav  Yes.  Permissions very user specific.  Can you create separate scratch locations for the user?  They would need to be chown correctly to the user and writeable chmod 777.  Right now that /tmp/hive is hadoopuser:supergroup.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Super Guru

@Udhav  You can solve the issue by making /tmp/hive writeable:

hdfs dfs -chmod 777 /tmp/hive

when complete you should see the correct permissions as follows (drwxrwxrwx):

[hdfs@hdp ~]$ hdfs dfs -chmod 777 /tmp/hive
[hdfs@hdp ~]$ hdfs dfs -ls /tmp | grep hive
drwxrwxrwx   - hive   hdfs            0 2020-04-14 13:33 /tmp

If this answer resolves your issue or allows you to move forward, please choose to ACCEPT this solution and close this topic. If you have further dialogue on this topic please comment here or feel free to private message me. If you have new questions related to your Use Case please create separate topic and feel free to tag me in your post.  

Thanks,

Steven @ DFHZ

Rising Star

@stevenmatison 

I already tried doing that a few times but still i am getting the same exception.

rsz_screenshot_from_2020-05-28_17-56-05.png

Actually i have 2 users (A and B), My source code is running in user A while Hadoop and HIve are running in user B. I guess maybe thats why i am getting this issue, i am not sure. I also tried copying my intellij project to the other user, then i am not even able to run my code.

Thanks

Super Guru

@Udhav  Yes.  Permissions very user specific.  Can you create separate scratch locations for the user?  They would need to be chown correctly to the user and writeable chmod 777.  Right now that /tmp/hive is hadoopuser:supergroup.

Rising Star

Hey @stevenmatison, its working now thanks for the help.