Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Failed to install CDH6 and CM packages from archive.cloudera.com

New Contributor

Dear community. 

Can you inform me about  CDH6 and CM packages ? How i can get this packages ?

Thank you.

3 REPLIES 3

Hi @Kjafarov You didn't give us any detail about the error message you received that made you conclude the installation process failed, so I will infer that you recently attempted to install CDH6 and/or Cloudera Manager packages and the package download process did not complete successfully because you were trying to download them from public repositories.

If that's true, then you are probably being affected by a recent change in Cloudera's policies about binary package availability. Packages are now only available for download from private repositories. Please see the announcement here:

Transition to private repositories for CDH, HDP and HDF

…where the relevant section is this:

As part of the changes announced in October 2020, beginning in February 2021, no versions of Cloudera Manager, CDH…releases will be available via Cloudera's public repositories. Instead, all of the then-currently supported releases of Cloudera Manager, CDH, Ambari, HDP and HDF will be accessible only to active customers with valid subscription entitlements to these Cloudera products. This follows similar changes made for versions released since November 2019, which were never posted in Cloudera’s public repositories.

Emphasis added. The same announcement has links in it to documentation describing in detail how to install CDH and other software from Cloudera’s private repositories.

Bill Brooks, Community Moderator
Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.

New Contributor

@ask_bill_brooks  Thank you for quick response. I'm new in Clodera and as i know before i can install and able to use Cloudera CDH Express edition from public repos. Now as i understood,  Cloudera stops this options. 

Is't possible now to use  free CDH Express edition ?  

Thank you.

Br

Kamil Jafarov 

@Kjafarov As I understand from this post:

Cloudera Manager will continue to run either fully features or with the Cloudera Express feature set for some Cloudera Manager 6 versions.

…yes, it is possible to continue to use the Cloudera Express edition circa CDH6. The only recent change was that Cloudera moved the binaries it distributes from public repositories into private repositories. And again, the announcement I linked to above has links in it to documentation describing in detail how to install CDH and other software from Cloudera’s private repositories.

This means if you're trying to install on a new cluster using Cloudera's public repositories as a source for the packages, that installation would fail. It does not mean that it is now impossible to use the Cloudera Express edition from the CDH6 era.

Hope this helps.

Bill Brooks, Community Moderator
Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.