Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Failed to start secondary namenode

Highlighted

Failed to start secondary namenode

Expert Contributor

I have done the configuration HA for YARN, I followed the wisard in enable ResourceManager HA to enable the nameode and Snamenode. and for some raison I cancel the wizard in the last step, I thought I can done it again later.

So when I cancel the config process all services turn off and I got lot of alerts (scary!! right).

so I tried to restart all the services but I could not. there is something wrong With my Snamenode.

in addition when I try to start the service I see that the service Snamenode in my standby namenode is in maintenance mode

This is the erreur msg:

2017-11-17 17:19:10,364 INFO  namenode.SecondaryNameNode (LogAdapter.java:info(45)) - registered UNIX signal handlers for [TERM, HUP, INT]
2017-11-17 17:19:10,770 FATAL namenode.SecondaryNameNode (SecondaryNameNode.java:main(673)) - Failed to start secondary namenode
java.io.IOException: Cannot use SecondaryNameNode in an HA cluster. The Standby Namenode will perform checkpointing.
	at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.SecondaryNameNode.<init>(SecondaryNameNode.java:187)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.SecondaryNameNode.main(SecondaryNameNode.java:671)
2017-11-17 17:19:10,773 INFO  util.ExitUtil (ExitUtil.java:terminate(124)) - Exiting with status 1
2017-11-17 17:19:10,776 INFO  namenode.SecondaryNameNode (LogAdapter.java:info(45)) - SHUTDOWN_MSG: 

and this is the entire error msg:

error-body.txt

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Re: Failed to start secondary namenode

Cloudera Employee

Hi Sihi,

I also encountered similar issue while enabling HA on name-node. We fall into this issue usually because we miss some instructions while enabling HA , like in my case I missed one step to create checkpoint on second NN. 

To overcome this thing , please try to start the HA enabling process once again from Ambari UI . And follow every step again correctly. It will again try to create secondary NN and you will be able to bring back the cluster to green state. 

Thanks

Arun 

Don't have an account?
Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here