Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Falcon Passing parameters to existing Oozie Workflow with Hive Action

Expert Contributor

Got an existing oozie workflow that has Hive Action. When called through Falcon, its not dynamically substituting the job.properties values. the oozie job fails with the Variable name not found. anyone encountered the scenario ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Expert Contributor

Figured it out. We need to add the properties to the process XML. But the issue is it cannot be done via UI . I has to be done via CLI.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Expert Contributor

Figured it out. We need to add the properties to the process XML. But the issue is it cannot be done via UI . I has to be done via CLI.

Ganesh - You are right that the process xml has to be changed but are you not able to edit the xml directly via UI ?

Guru

If you do this, the UI bindings seem to automatically revert the xml as soon as there is any interaction with the form side (e.g. save)

Expert Contributor

No. If you edit the UI, the properties disappear automatically. Only CLI works. Looks like a bug on the UI.

Expert Contributor

Thanks - Can you create a bug on Falcon UI for this - which version of the UI are you using

Rising Star

Yeah, you should be able to pass any properties to the workflow.xml from Falcon's process.xml. Like this:

This would go before the <workflow> tag and after the <output> tags. They're used in the workflow.xml as ${workflowName}, ${hiveDB}, ${queueName}, and so on.

<properties>
    <property name="workflowName" value="1234-my-workflow" />
    <property name="rawDataDirectoryHDFS" value="/path/to/hdfs/files/" />
    <property name="hiveDB" value="my_db" />
    <property name="jobTracker" value="hdpcluster003.company.com:8050"/>
    <property name="nameNode" value="hdfs://MYHA:8020"/>
    <property name="queueName" value="dev"/>
</properties>