Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise

Getting VirtualBox Error while importing Virtual Appliance

New Contributor

I downloaded the HDP 2.3.2 sandbox. Following that I am trying to import the Virual Appliance into the Oracle VM VirtualBox Manager. I keep getting the following errors. The site says the sandbox file is supposed to be 8.5G but the downloaded file is only 2G. Can someone please help? Thanks a lot.

Failed to import appliance C:\Users\xxxxxxx\Downloads\HDP_2.3.2_virtualbox.ova.
Could not create the imported medium 'C:\Users\xxxxxxx\VirtualBox VMs\Hortonworks Sandbox with HDP 2.3.2\Hortonworks Sandbox with HDP 2.3.2-disk1.vmdk'.
VMDK: Compressed image is corrupted 'C:\Windows\system32\Hortonworks Sandbox with HDP 2.3.2-disk1.vmdk' (VERR_ZIP_CORRUPTED).
Result Code: 
VBOX_E_FILE_ERROR (0x80BB0004)
Component: 
ApplianceWrap
Interface: 
IAppliance {8398f026-4add-4474-5bc3-2f9f2140b23e}
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

A couple of things. 1. The file must have only partially downloaded. 2. You downloaded the vmdk for vmware. You'll need to select the download for VirtualBox. The file will have a .ova extension.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

A couple of things. 1. The file must have only partially downloaded. 2. You downloaded the vmdk for vmware. You'll need to select the download for VirtualBox. The file will have a .ova extension.

Correction. You have the right file. Try downloading again. I think your download is corrupted.

New Contributor

I had the same problem , I downloaded he HDP 2.3.2 sandbox two times and it is in the correct size, where I am using the VirualBox Version 5.0.14 , I download the .ova file using Free Download Manager

New Contributor

check this video for solution

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNebUgKxKqw

New Contributor

What you mean by tune compression

New Contributor

I have downloaded the nagios with the .ova extension but the thing is not still going displaying the same output

New Contributor

@Scott Shaw, Hi, Thanks for the quick response. I have tried downloading it about 4 times now. The first 3 times were yesterday over VPN. Today I retried over LAN. For some reason the download seems to be terminating exactly when the file size reaches 2G. Please help.

Are you using a corporate network? Maybe there is a download restriction?

New Contributor

I have tried via LAN from corporate network, corporate network via VPN and direct internet via my ISP. All the downloads completed/terminated when the file size reached 2G.

Do you have file compression turned on the C:\Users\xxxxxxx\Downloads\ directory? Double check disk space too.

New Contributor

I turned the file compression on and the download completed successfully. Thank you so much for the timely assistance @Scott Shaw.

@KC Kannangnatt Awesome! Glad its working. Happy Hadooping!

New Contributor

I have the same problem and I am sure of the file size , what you mean by turned the file compression on ?

@Omar Isaid

Make sure that you use mozilla.

New Contributor

What is the difference , this dows not make sense the browser type anyway i am using file download manager ?

New Contributor

Try downloading and installing the virtualbox version 5.1.18. Updating 4.2 doesn't work.

And my .ova file was failing to get imported into 4.2 virtualbox with the above error. the same .ova file works fine in 5.1

New Contributor

@Omar Isaid

Dear do same tricks your issue is solved hopefully.

uninstall Oracle VM VirtualBox completely.

2) go to program files remove Oracle VM VirtualBox directory

3) go to C:/users/user name/ and find Virtual Box VMS folder and delete it.

now you can install VirtualBox without any Error while importing Virtual Appliance.

45763-capture.png