Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Grafana for visualization of CDP data

New Contributor

I have been searching all over and can't find any solution that works.  I use Kudu and Parquet(hdfs) all searchable via Impala.  I want to use Grafana to visualize these data sources, but all I'm finding is performance metrics of the Cloudera components, not how to get the the massive amounts of data in the lake it self.  

Any suggestions?

5 REPLIES 5

Master Collaborator

Hi @THR-Mario ,

The built in Grafana dashboards that come with CDP expose operational metrics that are relevant to cluster administration. If you are looking to use visualization tools to view the data in, for example, Hive tables, you'll need to look at Cloudera Data Visualization which is a component of Data Warehousing in public cloud or CML/CDSW on-premise. Alternatively, CDP Hive is compatible with popular 3rd party data visualization tools. 

Hope this helps,

Alex

New Contributor

3rd party visualization tools are the question.  Why not Grafana?  Buying more products is not a great answer.  So did this answer my question,  no.

Master Collaborator

@THR-Mario , if you want to use Grafana as a general-purpose data visualization tool, then unfortunately that's not its purpose. Grafana is meant for time-series visualization, and in the context of CDP is used for metrics monitoring. In this task Grafana is great! 

If you want to use Grafana to query Hive, Impala, or other large datasets, you will have a bad time. Sorry, that's not what you want to hear, but that's the reality. 

Regards,

Alex

Community Manager

@THR-Mario Has the reply helped resolve your issue? If so, please mark the appropriate reply as the solution, as it will make it easier for others to find the answer in the future. Thanks!

Regards,

Diana Torres,
Community Moderator

Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.
Learn more about the Cloudera Community:

New Contributor

sorry, Diana,  Buying more product is not a solution.