Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

HA cannot formt standby namenode

Solved Go to solution

HA cannot formt standby namenode

Explorer

Hi,

I change my cluster to HA and it failed on bootstrapping the standby namenode.

Failed to bootstrap Standby NameNode namenode (nrmcdhnn02): STARTUP_MSG:   build = http://github.com/cloudera/hadoop -r b739cd891f6269da5dd22766d7e75bd2c9db73b6; compiled by 'jenkins' on 2015-07-07T00:02Z
STARTUP_MSG:   java = 1.7.0_67
************************************************************/
15/08/18 15:25:15 INFO namenode.NameNode: registered UNIX signal handlers for [TERM, HUP, INT]
15/08/18 15:25:15 INFO namenode.NameNode: createNameNode [-bootstrapStandby, -nonInteractive]
15/08/18 15:25:16 INFO ha.BootstrapStandby: The active NameNode is in Upgrade. Prepare the upgrade for the standby NameNode as well.
15/08/18 15:25:16 INFO common.Storage: Lock on /cdh/hdfs/1/namenode2/in_use.lock acquired by nodename 18683@cdhnn02
The original storage directory is not formatted.
Running in non-interactive mode, and data appears to exist in Storage Directory /cdh/hdfs/1/namenode2. Not formatting.
15/08/18 15:25:16 INFO util.ExitUtil: Exiting with status 5
15/08/18 15:25:16 INFO namenode.NameNode: SHUTDOWN_MSG: 
/************************************************************
SHUTDOWN_MSG: Shutting down NameNode at cdhnn02
************************************************************/

When I try to start nn2, it states that it's not formatted.

Lock on /cdh/hdfs/1/namenode/in_use.lock acquired by nodename 2172@cdhnn02
Encountered exception loading fsimage
java.io.IOException: NameNode is not formatted.
	at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSImage.recoverTransitionRead(FSImage.java:212)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSNamesystem.loadFSImage(FSNamesystem.java:1061)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSNamesystem.loadFromDisk(FSNamesystem.java:765)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode.loadNamesystem(NameNode.java:584)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode.initialize(NameNode.java:643)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode.<init>(NameNode.java:810)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode.<init>(NameNode.java:794)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode.createNameNode(NameNode.java:1487)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode.main(NameNode.java:1553)

Any suggestions? (CDH 5.4.4)

Thanks,

Eugene

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: HA cannot formt standby namenode

Explorer

I copied dfs directory from the active namenode to the standby namenode and restarted it. 

It solved the problem. Thanks.
1 REPLY 1

Re: HA cannot formt standby namenode

Explorer

I copied dfs directory from the active namenode to the standby namenode and restarted it. 

It solved the problem. Thanks.