Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

HBase Master is not initializing

Contributor

Hi,

I am new to learning HBase and I am using Hortonworks sandbox on virtual box. I just have open HBase Shell and ran the first simple command to show status but it is giving me following error.

hbase(main):010:0> status 'simple'
ERROR: org.apache.hadoop.hbase.PleaseHoldException: Master is initializing
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.master.HMaster.checkInitialized(HMaster.java:2402)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.master.MasterRpcServices.getClusterStatus(MasterRpcServices.java:778)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.protobuf.generated.MasterProtos$MasterService$2.callBlockingMethod(MasterProtos.java:57174)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.RpcServer.call(RpcServer.java:2127)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.CallRunner.run(CallRunner.java:107)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.RpcExecutor.consumerLoop(RpcExecutor.java:133)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.RpcExecutor$1.run(RpcExecutor.java:108)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)
Here is some help for this command:
Show cluster status. Can be 'summary', 'simple', 'detailed', or 'replication'. The
default is 'summary'. Examples:
  hbase> status
  hbase> status 'simple'
  hbase> status 'summary'
  hbase> status 'detailed'
  hbase> status 'replication'
  hbase> status 'replication', 'source'
  hbase> status 'replication', 'sink'
hbase(main):011:0>

80431-masteinitializing.jpg

I have checked that HBase Master is running well on Ambari. I have restarted Sandbox as well. But I am facing same error.

Regards,

Jay.

1 REPLY 1

Rising Star

Hi @JAy PaTel

go to /var/log/hbase/ and then take a look at master and region log to check if there's an exception.

From https://hbase.apache.org/apidocs/org/apache/hadoop/hbase/PleaseHoldException.html you can see:

"This exception is thrown by the master when a region server was shut down and restarted so fast that the master still hasn't processed the server shutdown of the first instance, or when master is initializing and client call admin operations, or when an operation is performed on a region server that is still starting."

Regards,

Samir