Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

HDFS ACLs Inheritance

Super Collaborator

Is there a way for the new hdfs files/dirs to inherit the parent folder permission and acl?

Before we upgrade to HDP-2.3.2, it's perfectly working.

Thanks!

-MD

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Master Mentor
5 REPLIES 5

Master Mentor

Super Collaborator

Thanks @Artem Ervits, I'm also reading that guide.

I already applied ACL on some hdfs dir, and working properly.

Is there a way for the new generated files/dir that will be saved on that dir will also inherit the ACLs without reapplying it?

Thanks!

Master Mentor

The model also differentiates between an “access ACL”, which defines the rules to enforce during permission checks, and a “default ACL”, which defines the ACL entries that new child files or sub-directories receive automatically during creation. For example:

user::rwx
   group::r-x
   other::r-x
   default:user::rwx
   default:user:bruce:rwx          #effective:r-x
   default:group::r-x
   default:group:sales:rwx         #effective:r-x
   default:mask::r-x
   default:other::r-x

Only directories may have a default ACL. When a new file or sub-directory is created, it automatically copies the default ACL of its parent into its own access ACL. A new sub-directory also copies it to its own default ACL. In this way, the default ACL will be copied down through arbitrarily deep levels of the file system tree as new sub-directories get created.

Super Collaborator

Sorry for the confusion @Artem Ervits. Thanks for pointing that out.

I understand that the new file or sub-dir will automatically copies the default acl.

After the upgrade, when creating a new file or subdirectory, parent folder acl were not being copied.

Master Mentor

if you continue having issues, consider opening a ticket with support.