Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

HDFS chmod is not working

Expert Contributor

a)I want to change the permissions of file:-part-m-00001 to 777.The owner for this file is naresh.

The first two commands with sudo is showing command not found whereas hadoop fs -chmod 777 /vamsi/part-m-00003 command changes permissions to rw-rw-rw-but i want it to change to 777(rwxrwxrwx)

naresh@ubuntu:~/Work1/hadoop-1.2.1/bin$ sudo -u root hadoop fs -chmod 777 /vamsi/part-m-00001
sudo: hadoop: command not found
naresh@ubuntu:~/Work1/hadoop-1.2.1/bin$ sudo -u naresh hadoop fs -chmod 777 /vamsi/part-m-00001
sudo: hadoop: command not found
naresh@ubuntu:~/Work1/hadoop-1.2.1/bin$ hadoop fs -chmod 777 /vamsi/part-m-00003
Warning: $HADOOP_HOME is deprecated.
4 REPLIES 4

@vamsi valiveti

For recursive "chmod" you can also use the "-R" flag as following:

hadoop fs -chmod 777 -R /vamsi/part-m-00003

Looks like for the user "naresh" / "root" you might not have set the PATH properly to include the "~/Work1/hadoop-1.2.1/bin" directory. You should try setting that PATH value in the "~/.bashrc" of root as well as "naresh"

export PATH=/PATH/TO/Work1/hadoop-1.2.1/bin:$PATH

Expert Contributor

part-m-00003 is file not directory.-R is to change all files in a directory.Please correct me if i am wrong?

Expert Contributor

I tired below command but it is not changing to 777.It is changing to rw-rw-rw-

More example:

Setting Up Hadoop

You can set Hadoop environment variables by appending the following commands to ~/.bashrc file.

export HADOOP_HOME=/PATH/TO/hadoop-1.2.1
export HADOOP_MAPRED_HOME=$HADOOP_HOME 
export HADOOP_COMMON_HOME=$HADOOP_HOME 
export HADOOP_HDFS_HOME=$HADOOP_HOME 
export YARN_HOME=$HADOOP_HOME 
export HADOOP_COMMON_LIB_NATIVE_DIR=$HADOOP_HOME/lib/nativeexport PATH=$PATH:$HADOOP_HOME/sbin:$HADOOP_HOME/bin  
export HADOOP_INSTALL=$HADOOP_HOME