Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

HDP 2.5 - Not able to delete Metrics Monitor using Ambari (from a specific DataNode)

HDP 2.5 - Not able to delete Metrics Monitor using Ambari (from a specific DataNode)

Expert Contributor

Hi All,

i've HDP 2.5 ...

i'm trying to delete "Metrics Monitor" component from Ambari (for a specific dataNode).

This is a newly added DataNode, and replaces an older DataNode with the same name & ip address.

I'm able to delete & re-add other services eg. DataNode, Spark from Ambari, however for some components eg. Metrics Monitor, the delete option is greyed out. (screenshot attached) screen-shot-2017-07-17-at-33414-pm.png

How do i go about deleting the component from Ambari (for this newly added DataNode) ?

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

Re: HDP 2.5 - Not able to delete Metrics Monitor using Ambari (from a specific DataNode)

Super Guru

@Karan Alang

Ambari Metrics Monitor is part of Ambari Metrics system and cannot be deleted on its own. It is responsible for collecting system level metrics and report to Ambari Metrics collector which then shows you the system health. It is installed on all the nodes managed by Ambari. Why do you want to delete it? check the architecture on following link. It's very small document. It will help you understand it better:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/AMBARI/Metrics

If you must delete it, then you can use the API to delete. Following is the process from this link. I still recommend to not do this but following is only to share with you how to delete metrics monitor if you must.

1. Ambari Metrics Monitor is installed by default on all cluster nodes if Ambari Metrics is selected. It cannot be deleted from the UI. It doesn't hurt to leave that on there, but if you really don't want it running on that host, you can go to the Host Details page, shut down Metrics Monitor on that host, and put it in Maintenance Mode, so that alerts are not generated and it won't get started accidentally when doing operations at the Ambari Metrics service level. It's possible to delete it via the API but that's not recommended and you might be on your own because how the UI reacts in that situation isn't really tested (it might get added back automatically, etc). If you are willing to take that risk, you can first stop the Metrics Monitor from the UI on that host and issue the following API call:

curl -u admin:admin -H "X-Requested-By: ambari" -X DELETE http://AMBARI_SERVER_HOST:8080/api/v1/clusters/CLUSTERNAME/hosts/HOSTNAME/host_components/METRICS_MO...

Highlighted

Re: HDP 2.5 - Not able to delete Metrics Monitor using Ambari (from a specific DataNode)

Expert Contributor

@mqureshi - thnx,i was able to delete the Ambari Metrics Monitor from the node using API call.

Here is the scenario (why i wanted to delete the Metrics Monitor the specific node, instead of the Ambari Metrocs service) -

The node in question is a newly added node, replacing a node which had gone bad. The node has the same name & IP address, as the node it replaced.

Since Ambari already had the reference to the services installed (on new Node), the services were not starting up since the service was not installed properly on the Node.

The solution was - to delete the services manually and then re-add the services.

I did not want to delete the entire Ambari Metrics service, since the cluster is being used. This is a typical scenario wherein a new Node is being added (in this case, with the same name & ip address)

Pls let me know your thoughts around the best practices wrt this scenario - replacing existing Node with new Node.

thanks!

Don't have an account?
Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here