Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

HDP 2.6.4 sandbox not starting on VirtualBox 5.2.6

Explorer

I've been trying to get this set up for a while to no avail. The boot process seems to go fine, with no errors except for one after "waiting for server start" which exits with error code 1: reason "server is still not listening on port 8080 after 50 seconds". Though another post said that this isn't necessarily an issue. After that it continues to "Waiting for ambari services to start" and never progresses past that (see attached screenshot)

64386-boot-01.jpg

I have tried connecting to localhost:8888, 4200, and 8080. All of those refuse to connect.

From other questions, and responses, I've made sure that I have more than 8 GB allocated to the VM, I've verified the checksum, and I've re-imported the .ova a few times. I am running on Windows7.

Any help appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Explorer

Hello, all. I solved the problem from my end. I had a VPN that was conflicting with the networking that VB tries to set up. Please be sure to turn off your VPN!

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19

Super Collaborator

@Ian Shrum Sorry to hear the HDP 2.6.4 sandbox does not start for you.

I'm hoping @glupu can provide suggestions on how to diagnose your issue.

I was successful deploying HDP 2.6.4 using VirtualBox 5.2.6 for Windows 10. It took about 5 minutes for Ports 8888, 4200 and 8080 to open and connect.

Expert Contributor

@Ian Shrum

Try connecting via SSH to the host machine ( ssh root@localhost -p2122 root/hadoop ) and then running docker ps to check if the docker container has been started. If so, from there login to the docker container ( ssh root@localhost -p2222 root/hadoop ) and run a ps ax command to check what processes are started.

It's very strange that not even shellinabox is started ( port 4200 ), we haven't seen this behavior before.

Explorer

@glupu

I downloaded VMware and the appropriate HDP 2.6.4 image. Now I can ssh in through git bash. shellinabox and ambari are still refusing to connect though..

ps ax yielded the following:psax.jpg

New Contributor

@glupu

I too am facing the same issue

Explorer

Thank you for the links, but I have already reviewed that material extensively and it did not help me. Which is why I am here.

Explorer

I have similar problem, but difference is that I am running on sandbox on docker and final get through the start up. The process 'Waiting for ambari services to start...' took me about 25 minutes. Is it normal? I have set up enough memory (12GB) on my docker, so I don't think it is memory issue.

Explorer

Hello everyone. I am happy to see this article which is exactly the problem I am having trying to bring new sandbox 2.6.4 up. Things were alright with 2.6.1.
Looking forward for the new update of this post.
Thanks.

Explorer

Hi again.
I was just able to connect to new sandbox via same process I had done previously but with no success.

https://community.hortonworks.com/articles/98459/how-to-configure-networks-on-the-virtualbox-hdp-26....

Thanks.