Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

HDP 3 Sandbox -- Permission denied when load data to table from online tutorial

HDP 3 Sandbox -- Permission denied when load data to table from online tutorial

New Contributor

I have a problem follow the "Load Data" section from Hortonworks online tutorial with latest HDP sandbox:

https://hortonworks.com/tutorial/how-to-process-data-with-apache-hive/#download-the-data

The problem is from DAS, default user logged in to DAS is "Hive", so when execute following command

LOAD DATA INPATH '/user/maria_dev/drivers.csv' OVERWRITE INTO TABLE temp_drivers

It's not working with following errors

java.sql.SQLException: Error while processing statement: FAILED: Execution Error, return code 1 from org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.MoveTask. org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.metadata.HiveException: Access denied: Unable to move source hdfs://sandbox-hdp.hortonworks.com:8020/user/maria_dev/drivers.csv to destination hdfs://sandbox-hdp.hortonworks.com:8020/warehouse/tablespace/managed/hive/temp_drivers/base_0000001: Permission denied: user=hive, access=WRITE, inode="/user/maria_dev":maria_dev:hdfs:drwxr-xr-x

Apparently user hive can't write into maria_dev's space, it's a common permission/authentication issue.

HDP3 sandbox no longer carries Hive Viewer, instead it comes with DAS

So the solution would be either login to DAS as maria_dev or grant user 'hive' the permission. I think former is a better and cleaner solution.

However after plenty of research I can't find any details to configure authentication for DAS in the sandbox, most materials are about using DataPlane but I can't find it in the sandbox too, more interestingly DAS don't have a login page at all from the sandbox unlike Atlas etc, then it stuck from here (if login as maria_dev)....

Any advice would be much appreciated !

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Re: HDP 3 Sandbox -- Permission denied when load data to table from online tutorial

Expert Contributor

How to Process Data with Apache Hive tutorial has been updated to modify permission so that DAS can access.

Don't have an account?
Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here