Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

HDP Sandbox 2.6 Hive/Hive 2 'SELECT COUNT' or 'SELECT DISTINCT' hangs

Explorer

I just used the tutorial table drivers/timesheets table.

SELECT dirverid from drivers;

runs fine. It's a small table. But:

SELECT DISTINCT driverid from drivers;

or

SELECT COUNT(*) from drivers;

just hangs, never completes. I have to restart HIVE to stop it running.

I just use Virtual Box load the downloaded HortonWorks Sandbox 2.6, no configuration changes.

It works with HDP 2.5 though.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Lei Yin

I faced a similar issue in the past and solved it by adjusting the Hive settings in the sandbox as below:

1) In Ambari, select "Hive" from the left menu then the "Configs" tab and the "Settings" sub-tab

13913-screen-shot-2017-03-22-at-113831-am.png

2) Scroll down to the bottom of the page and modify the "HeveServer2 Heap Size", "Metastore Heap Size" as well as any other flagged items (possibly "Memory for Map Join"). If you hover next to each item, Ambari will make recommendations for the values to set, so feel free to use those by selecting the "set recommended" icon that appears.

13914-screen-shot-2017-03-22-at-114511-am.png

3) Save and click "restart affected" services near the top of the page.

Try the above and let us know if it works or not.

As always, if you find any post here helpful, don't forget to "accept" an answer.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

@Lei Yin

I faced a similar issue in the past and solved it by adjusting the Hive settings in the sandbox as below:

1) In Ambari, select "Hive" from the left menu then the "Configs" tab and the "Settings" sub-tab

13913-screen-shot-2017-03-22-at-113831-am.png

2) Scroll down to the bottom of the page and modify the "HeveServer2 Heap Size", "Metastore Heap Size" as well as any other flagged items (possibly "Memory for Map Join"). If you hover next to each item, Ambari will make recommendations for the values to set, so feel free to use those by selecting the "set recommended" icon that appears.

13914-screen-shot-2017-03-22-at-114511-am.png

3) Save and click "restart affected" services near the top of the page.

Try the above and let us know if it works or not.

As always, if you find any post here helpful, don't forget to "accept" an answer.

Explorer

Yes, this fixed the issue.

One extra is in 'Tez' container size, I changed it to recommended size, was 256MB, which might be the problem.

Awesome! Glad it worked.