Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

HDP Sandbox Tutorial Query Never Completes

Highlighted

HDP Sandbox Tutorial Query Never Completes

Explorer

I'm following this tutorial: https://www.cloudera.com/tutorials/getting-started-with-hdp-sandbox/3.html

I've installed HDP Sandbox 3.0.1 using Docker. Docker is running on a machine with 8 cores and 32Gb of RAM.

One of the queries in the tutorial is as follows: 

SELECT truckid, avg(mpg) avgmpg FROM truckmileage GROUP BY truckid;

After an hour, this query has still not completed. These datasets are not very big, and this performance is so bad that the product is basically unusable. How can I fix this?

Thanks

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Re: HDP Sandbox Tutorial Query Never Completes

New Contributor

Did you ever find an answer to this? I'm stuck on this query too. I found that increasing many tuning parameters to their recommended values made performance on the steps prior to this workable, but this one is just impossible to run. 

My resources: VMWare Workstation Player, 8 cores, 56GB RAM, NVMe SSD storage, real hardware is 2x8 core Sandy Bridge Xeon processors. I can't imagine what people trying to run on the default configuration are seeing, that was completely unusable and unstable.

Don't have an account?
Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here