Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

HIVE MR VS TEZ difference in output, ,Hi,

Hi,

Hive table created using normal MR is not accessing records when using TEZ as execution engine and vice versa.

I created one table using normal MR and the same table I am trying to access by setting engine as TEZ, when using tez, zero records fetching and if i remove tez then getting all records and same is applicable in reverse condition. Why such difference?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Expert Contributor

@S. Sali

I am pretty sure it might be something related to the way the bucketed table is loaded. Did you have necessary properties set when loading the Hive table ? Especially hive.enforce.bucketing = true

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/LanguageManual+DDL+BucketedTables

I would recommend recreate the table by setting necessary properties and let me know if that works.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

@Hari Rongali,

Thanks for suggestion, but currently I am not using enforce option. I will try by including with this option and run again.

I am using below options,

hive.exec.dynamic.partition --> true

hive.exec.dynamic.partition.mode --> nonstrict

hive.execution.engine --> tez

But in the given link, about enforce option, they specifically mentioned, Not needed in Hive 2.x onward

and I am using 2.3.2.0

Expert Contributor
@S. Sali

I am pretty sure HDP 2.3.2.0 does not have Hive2.x and Hive 2.x is GA in future releases of HDP, probably from HDP 2.6 or later.

If you are okay with the solution provided, can you please upvote and accept the answer ? Thanks

Thanks , yes, it worked by setting hive.enforce.bucketing = true.

but I didn't understand the background how it affects while querying thru tez and MR?

Explorer

hdp 2.3 and hive 1.2

the hive.enforce.bucketing is default true

What is the need to set?

Explorer

I have the same issue here. Will test with setting hive.enforce.bucketing=true while inserting data. But does anyone know why this setting will help here?

Hi @kerra

Bucketing is supported for hive 2.x and above.

set hive.enforce.bucketing = true;

The main reason is that it allows the correct number of reducers and the cluster by column to be automatically selected based on the table. Otherwise, you would need to set the number of reducers to be the same as the number of buckets as in set mapred.reduce.tasks = 256; and have a CLUSTER BY ... clause in the select.

Explorer

my hdp is 2.3 hive 1.2 sql union all itself

use tez and orc is right

bug use mr is 0

this is my ddl

CREATE TABLE `test.web`
( `id` string , `uid` string , `user_id` int ) 
PARTITIONED BY (`p_date` string) 
ROW FORMAT DELIMITED
FIELDS TERMINATED BY '\t'
COLLECTION ITEMS TERMINATED BY ','
MAP KEYS TERMINATED BY ':' 
LINES TERMINATED BY '\n' 
NULL DEFINED AS '' 
STORED AS ORC 
TBLPROPERTIES('orc.compress'='SNAPPY')

sql

SELECT
	count(*)