Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Hadoop : SparkSQL context to include Hive

I added a config property called spark.local.dir, and this seemed to resolve this issue below, and I can select from tables when connecting through port 10015 in beeline.

I set it to /tmp, as it needs to be writeable by the spark process. I tried making a sub-directory called /tmp/spark-tmp, and change ownership to spark:hadoop but it didn’t like it for some reason. Maybe because it wasn’t executable.

From /var/log/spark/spark-hive-org.apache.spark.sql.hive.thriftserver.HiveThriftServer2-1-mdzusvpclhdp001.mdz.local.out:

16/08/03 14:58:14 ERROR DiskBlockManager: Failed to create local dir in /tmp/spark-tmp. Ignoring this directory.

java.io.IOException: Failed to create a temp directory (under /tmp/spark-tmp) after 10 attempts!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Super Guru

@kishore sanchina

Your spark use must be able to create folder under that /tmp/spark-tmp. Based on your comments you did not grant ownership successfully. You should grant recursive ownership of /tmp as such that it will include all subfolders existent or created at runtime:

chown spark -R /tmp

I assumed your user is spark.

However, I really don't like the idea of using /tmp for that (SA taste).You should use maybe a folder created under SPARK_HOME.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Super Guru

@kishore sanchina

Your spark use must be able to create folder under that /tmp/spark-tmp. Based on your comments you did not grant ownership successfully. You should grant recursive ownership of /tmp as such that it will include all subfolders existent or created at runtime:

chown spark -R /tmp

I assumed your user is spark.

However, I really don't like the idea of using /tmp for that (SA taste).You should use maybe a folder created under SPARK_HOME.