Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Hbase master crashing after startup

New Contributor

I wander if any one has a solution or at least point me in the right direction.

Recent;y I did an upgrade of entire stack; Ambari from v. 2.2.2.0 to 2.4.2.0 and HPD from 2.4.2.0 to 2.5.3.0

Upgrade went more or less ok, but now my Hbase master falls over after about 30-35 sec.

this is the message I get in the log

2017-01-05 11:20:54,000 INFO [main] util.ByteBufferArray: Allocating buffers total=10 GB, sizePerBuffer=4 MB, count=2560, direct=true

2017-01-05 11:20:54,695 ERROR [main] master.HMasterCommandLine: Master exiting java.lang.RuntimeException: Failed construction of Master: class org.apache.hadoop.hbase.master.HMaster at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.master.HMaster.constructMaster(HMaster.java:2515) at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.master.HMasterCommandLine.startMaster(HMasterCommandLine.java:235) at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.master.HMasterCommandLine.run(HMasterCommandLine.java:139) at org.apache.hadoop.util.ToolRunner.run(ToolRunner.java:76) at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.util.ServerCommandLine.doMain(ServerCommandLine.java:126) at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.master.HMaster.main(HMaster.java:2529) Caused by: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Direct buffer memory at java.nio.Bits.reserveMemory(Bits.java:658) at java.nio.DirectByteBuffer.<init>(DirectByteBuffer.java:123) at java.nio.ByteBuffer.allocateDirect(ByteBuffer.java:311) at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.util.ByteBufferArray.<init>(ByteBufferArray.java:65) at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.io.hfile.bucket.ByteBufferIOEngine.<init>(ByteBufferIOEngine.java:47) at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.io.hfile.bucket.BucketCache.getIOEngineFromName(BucketCache.java:307) at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.io.hfile.bucket.BucketCache.<init>(BucketCache.java:217) at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.io.hfile.CacheConfig.getBucketCache(CacheConfig.java:614) at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.io.hfile.CacheConfig.getL2(CacheConfig.java:553) at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.io.hfile.CacheConfig.instantiateBlockCache(CacheConfig.java:637) at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.io.hfile.CacheConfig.<init>(CacheConfig.java:231) at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.HRegionServer.<init>(HRegionServer.java:564) at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.master.HMaster.<init>(HMaster.java:411) at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method) at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.java:62) at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.java:45) at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:422) at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.master.HMaster.constructMaster(HMaster.java:25

this is exactly the same as https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AMBARI-18238?jql=project%20%3D%20AMBARI%20AND%20fixVersion%20%...

Having said that the bug reports stated it was addressed at 2.4.1 and I'm at 2.4.2

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Contributor

Hello. If you're not using Off-heap memory (Bucketcache) you can try disabling the 3 configuration properties and 1 environment variable setting that gets added during the Ambari upgrade.

Using Ambari, modify your Hbase configuration and blank the following:
hbase.bucketcache.size
hbase.bucketcache.ioengine
hbase.bucketcache.percentage.in.combinedcache

Modify hbase-env template:
comment out line: export HBASE_REGIONSERVER_OPTS = ... -XX:MaxDirectMemorySize

Restart all affected

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Contributor

Hello. If you're not using Off-heap memory (Bucketcache) you can try disabling the 3 configuration properties and 1 environment variable setting that gets added during the Ambari upgrade.

Using Ambari, modify your Hbase configuration and blank the following:
hbase.bucketcache.size
hbase.bucketcache.ioengine
hbase.bucketcache.percentage.in.combinedcache

Modify hbase-env template:
comment out line: export HBASE_REGIONSERVER_OPTS = ... -XX:MaxDirectMemorySize

Restart all affected

New Contributor

That did the trick... thanks

Contributor

I'm happy to hear that worked out for you. Feel free to accept the answer if you're happy with it.

Thanks!