Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise

Hi, I have a problem with yarn/ranger. I activated the ranger pluggin for yarn but I don't have the log in ranger audit and the policies don't work

Hi, I have a problem with yarn/ranger. I activated the ranger pluggin for yarn but I don't have the log in ranger audit and the policies don't work

New Contributor

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Hi, I have a problem with yarn/ranger. I activated the ranger pluggin for yarn but I don't have the log in ranger audit and the policies don't work

Does the yarn plugin download the policies? Do you see any error in ranger logs?

Re: Hi, I have a problem with yarn/ranger. I activated the ranger pluggin for yarn but I don't have the log in ranger audit and the policies don't work

New Contributor

I think it's ok, when I modify the ranger policies for yarn I have this:

09/11/2017 06:34:04 PMProto2_yarnyarn@hostname-Proto2_yarnIP 200 Policies synced to plugin

ok, can you elaborate on what the error is? Do you see any error in resource manager logs?

New Contributor

Hello,

We changed this option: yarn.resourcemanager.scheduler.class : org.apache.hadoop.yarn.server.resourcemanager.scheduler.fair.FairScheduler to org.apache.hadoop.yarn.server.resourcemanager.scheduler.capacity.CapacityScheduler. When the value of this option is org.apache.hadoop.yarn.server.resourcemanager.scheduler.fair.FairScheduler the audit log and the ranger permissions don’t work and when the value is org.apache.hadoop.yarn.server.resourcemanager.scheduler.capacity.CapacityScheduler it’s work.

The HFDS component is an isilon and in this doc http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg27048931 we can see we must used org.apache.hadoop.yarn.server.resourcemanager.scheduler.fair.FairScheduler. We must configure this option to FairScheduler because we used an isilon but this option doesn’t work with ranger/yarn. We think it’s a bug.

Someone can help?

New Contributor

I don't see any error in resource manager logs:

$ cat yarn-yarn-resourcemanager-hostname.out

Sep 11, 2017 6:10:36 PM com.sun.jersey.guice.spi.container.GuiceComponentProviderFactory register

INFO: Registering org.apache.hadoop.yarn.server.resourcemanager.webapp.JAXBContextResolver as a provider class

Sep 11, 2017 6:10:36 PM com.sun.jersey.guice.spi.container.GuiceComponentProviderFactory register

INFO: Registering org.apache.hadoop.yarn.server.resourcemanager.webapp.RMWebServices as a root resource class

INFO: Registering org.apache.hadoop.yarn.webapp.GenericExceptionHandler as a provider class

Sep 11, 2017 6:10:36 PM com.sun.jersey.server.impl.application.WebApplicationImpl _initiate

INFO: Initiating Jersey application, version 'Jersey: 1.9 09/02/2011 11:17 AM'

Sep 11, 2017 6:10:36 PM com.sun.jersey.guice.spi.container.GuiceComponentProviderFactory getComponentProvider

INFO: Binding org.apache.hadoop.yarn.server.resourcemanager.webapp.JAXBContextResolver to GuiceManagedComponentProvider with the scope "Singleton"

Sep 11, 2017 6:10:36 PM com.sun.jersey.guice.spi.container.GuiceComponentProviderFactory getComponentProvider

INFO: Binding org.apache.hadoop.yarn.webapp.GenericExceptionHandler to GuiceManagedComponentProvider with the scope "Singleton"

Sep 11, 2017 6:10:37 PM com.sun.jersey.guice.spi.container.GuiceComponentProviderFactory getComponentProvider

INFO: Binding org.apache.hadoop.yarn.server.resourcemanager.webapp.RMWebServices to GuiceManagedComponentProvider with the scope "Singleton"

17/09/11 18:10:56 INFO ipc.Server: Auth successful for appattempt_1505146234776_0001_000001 (auth:SIMPLE)

17/09/11 18:12:44 INFO ipc.Server: Auth successful for appattempt_1505146234776_0002_000001 (auth:SIMPLE)

17/09/11 18:22:37 INFO ipc.Server: Auth successful for appattempt_1505146234776_0003_000001 (auth:SIMPLE)

17/09/11 18:23:16 INFO ipc.Server: Auth successful for appattempt_1505146234776_0004_000001 (auth:SIMPLE)

17/09/11 18:41:31 INFO ipc.Server: Auth successful for appattempt_1505146234776_0005_000001 (auth:SIMPLE)

I followed this procedure to activate the pluggins :

https://github.com/abajwa-hw/security-workshops/blob/master/Setup-ranger-23.md#yarn-audit-exercises-...

and I had the option :

• ranger.add-yarn-authorization = false

in Custom ranger-yarn-security

When I go to the Yarn Queue Manager I can see in the Access Control and Status: Permissions are managed by Ranger.

Then when I submit a job: run-example --master=yarn --queue test SparkPi 10

I can see my job is completed in Yarn Ressource Manger UI but there is nothing in the ranger audit log.