Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Hive Insert Into S3 External Table Overwrites Whole File !

Contributor

All,

We have been facing an issue while we are trying to insert data from Managed to External Table S3. Each time when we have a new data in Managed Table, we need to append that new data into our external table S3. Instead of appending, it is replacing old data with newly received data (Old data are over written). I have come across similar JIRA thread and that patch is for Apache Hive (Link at the bottom). Since we are on HDP, can anyone help me out with this?

Below are the Versions:

HDP 2.5.3
Hive 1.2.1000.2.5.3.0-37
create external table tests3prd (c1 string, c2 string) location 's3a://testdata/test/tests3prd/'; 

create table testint (c1 string,c2 string); 

insert into testint values (1,2);

14671-pic1.png

insert into tests3prd select * from testint; (2 times)

14672-pic2.png

When I re-insert the same values 1,2 , it overwrites the existing row and replaces with the new record.

Here is the S3 external files where each time *0000_0 is overwritten instead a new copy or serial addition.

14675-pic3.png

PS: Jira Thread : https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HIVE-15199

10 REPLIES 10

Explorer

In case that someone will face the same problem we solved this by making the table internal, keeping the TextFile format and storing data under default Hive directory. The definition of table look like this at the moment:

create table test1(c1 int, c2 int)  CLUSTERED BY(c1) SORTED BY(c1) INTO 4 BUCKETS ROW FORMAT DELIMITED FIELDS TERMINATED BY ',' STORED AS TEXTFILE;