Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Hive JDBC driver with keytab authentication

Contributor

Hi, I am using a 3rd party ETL application that I would like to connect to Hive as a datasource, using the Hive JDBC driver. Our Hive is kerberized so it needs a kerberos ticket to be able to connect. I am wondering if there is any way to automatically trigger a login from keytab when the application tries to connect to Hive. The tool itself is Java-based so I can set Java system properties when it starts, and I can also add config settings to the Hive JDBC connection string.

I've been able to get this to work by running a kinit before the process and setting -Djavax.security.auth.useSubjectCredsOnly=false, but I'd like to avoid this because it seems to be unreliable (sometimes when connecting to the DB the Java kerberos system ends up prompting for a username and password, even though the Kinit just ran, and I don't know why).

I have also tried setting a custom JAAS conf file as:

com.sun.security.jgss.krb5.initiate {

com.sun.security.auth.module.Krb5LoginModule required

doNotPrompt=true

useKeyTab=true

keyTab=(path to keytab)

principal=(prinicpal)

debug=true; };

This doesn't seem to do anything. My guess is that Hadoop UserGroupInformation class, which the JDBC driver uses to handle security, ignores these JAAS settings.

So to sum it up - is there any way I can get the JDBC driver to automatically login from keytab, by either setting Java system properties or changing the JDBC connection string?

4 REPLIES 4

Hi @Karl Fredrickson

If you have Knox you can use it to encapsulate Kerberos authentication and use username/password.

Thanks

Contributor

Thanks @dvillarreal and @Abdelkrim Hadjidj, it turned out that using a gss-jaas.conf file does work to auto-login from keytab, I just had to make sure to also set

-Djavax.security.auth.useSubjectCredsOnly=false

in the startup options of the ETL tool.

I forgot to mention that this was in a Windows environment, so this could help with using the Hive JDBC driver with other Windows tools.

New Contributor

If you already have a TGT available in cache, then below code worked for me

import java.sql.Connection;
import java.sql.DriverManager;
import java.sql.ResultSet;
import java.sql.SQLException;
import java.sql.Statement;
import org.apache.hadoop.conf.Configuration;
import org.apache.hadoop.security.UserGroupInformation;

class HiveBeelineTest  {

public static void main(String args[]) throws ClassNotFoundException, SQLException {

Class.forName("org.apache.hive.jdbc.HiveDriver");
	Configuration conf = new Configuration();
        conf.set("hadoop.security.authentication", "Kerberos");
        UserGroupInformation.setConfiguration(conf);
	Connection con = DriverManager.getConnection(
				"jdbc:hive2://mynode.foobar.com:10000/default;principal=hive/mynode.foobar.com@FOOBAR.COM")
        Statement sqlstatement = con.createStatement();
        ResultSet result = sqlstatement.executeQuery("select test_column from test_table");
	while (result.next()) {
           System.out.println(result.getString(1));
        }

}

}