Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Hive Mechanism Concepts

Rising Star

i don't know alot about i hive

i have explored many tutorials about hive and all are talking about hive commands syntax

but if we want to talk about this echosystem

when we have a cluster and install hive service on namenode only

and create a table in hive and then insert 10 records in

is hive table going to be replicated in all cluster data nodes when replication factor inclueds all data nodes ?

or is it going to be found only in name node and no replication occurs?

should hive be installed in all cluster nodes ?

is automatic Replication is only for Hdfs Files and not for hive?

is hive table equal to hdfs file ?

how is hive table represented and how to find this table when working with hdfs if we didn't specify location in its creation statement?

are hive table stored blocks able to be understood if we explore like hdfs files are ?

Can you give me links please

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Super Guru

is hive table going to be replicated in all cluster data nodes when replication factor inclueds all data nodes ?

with insert into hive will create a table directory and replicate the data with configured replication factor

hive use hadoop to store and retrieve the data.

hive table is equal to a dir on HDFS the underlying data is in files depending on the table definition.

how is hive table represented and how to find this table when working with hdfs if we didn't specify location in its creation statement?

hive has terninology of managed table and external table to store and govern the data more on this you can find here

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/17038414/difference-between-hive-internal-tables-and-external-tab...

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Super Guru

with insert into hive will create a table directory and replicate the data with configured replication factor

hive use hadoop to store and retrieve the data.

hive table is equal to a dir on HDFS the underlying data is in files depending on the table definition.

hive has terninology of managed table and external table to store and govern the data more on this you can find here

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/17038414/difference-between-hive-internal-tables-and-external-tab...

Rising Star

thanks very much your question was very helpful

Rising Star

Another Question Please:what is the benefit of installing hive server on other nodes rather than name node

if we choose another node to install hive server rather than name node will hive commands be handled from this node

or we should install hive on name node firstly