Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Hive ODBC driver on m1 Mac

New Contributor

I am trying to configure the Hive ODBC driver on an m1 Mac, but having some difficulties getting it configured. Before I continue going down this rabbit home I figured I would ask if this driver is currently supported for ARM based processors?

Thank you,

4 REPLIES 4

Hi @buzzamus 

I think it would be helpful to community members inclined to answer your question if you ran the following two commands at the command line and posted the output in a reply, here in this thread.

Open up a terminal window, and at the shell prompt, issue this command, to retrieve the installed Mac OS X operating system version:

urmachine:~ usrname$ sw_vers

…and then, at the same prompt, issue this command, to retrieve the version number and associated information about the Cloudera ODBC Driver for Apache Hive that you've installed on your machine.

urmachine:~ usrname$ /usr/sbin/pkgutil --info cloudera.hiveodbc

Bill Brooks, Community Moderator
Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.

New Contributor

Hello @ask_bill_brooks ,

Here are the results of running the commands you referenced. I did try several versions of the ODBC driver, so this one is just capturing version 2.5, but have tried several so far:

% sw_vers
ProductName:	macOS
ProductVersion:	12.1
BuildVersion:	21C52

% /usr/sbin/pkgutil --info cloudera.hiveodbc
package-id: cloudera.hiveodbc
version: 2.5.0.1001
volume: /

@buzzamus To be completely honest, I have not tried what you're attempting, but based solely on logical deduction, I don't think you are going to get this to work. To understand why I say that, take a look at the section headed macOS System Requirements in the document Cloudera ODBC Driver for Apache Hive. That document is for 2.6.1 of the Driver (in other words, more up-to-date than the 2.5.0.x version you are running), and it explicitly says that it was written for macOS version 10.11, 10.12, or 10.13. You're running macOS Monterey (12.1) and using a CPU that came out significantly later than the one this code was designed to run on, and I think it's safe to assume that the binaries you are trying to install are not Universal 2 app binaries that work on Intel Macs and Macs based on Apple silicon.

I can't speak authoritatively on whether or not this driver is currently supported for ARM based processors.

This thread will remain open so other community members with greater expertise with macOS and ODBC can weigh in, if they so desire

Bill Brooks, Community Moderator
Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.

New Contributor

@ask_bill_brooks thanks for the information. Everything you said made sense. I will wait and see if anybody else has had better luck than I, but I think you are correct.