Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise

Hive - TBLPROPERTIES

Hello, DW guy learning hadoop.

I wanted to understand what are the full list of TBLPROPERTIES that are predefined in Hive and available for use? Couldnt find it in the Hive Manual. Thanks for the help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Master Mentor
@KARTHIK THYAGARAJAN

See this https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/LanguageManual+DDL

The TBLPROPERTIES clause allows you to tag the table definition with your own metadata key/value pairs. Some predefined table properties also exist, such as last_modified_user and last_modified_time which are automatically added and managed by Hive. Other predefined table properties include:

• TBLPROPERTIES ("comment"="table_comment")
  • TBLPROPERTIES ("hbase.table.name"="table_name") – see HBase Integration.
  • TBLPROPERTIES ("immutable"="true") or ("immutable"="false") in release 0.13.0+ (HIVE-6406) – see Inserting Data into Hive Tables from Queries.
  • TBLPROPERTIES ("orc.compress"="ZLIB") or ("orc.compress"="SNAPPY") or ("orc.compress"="NONE") and other ORC properties – see ORC Files.
  • TBLPROPERTIES ("transactional"="true") or ("transactional"="false") in release 0.14.0+, the default is "false" – see Hive Transactions.
  • TBLPROPERTIES ("NO_AUTO_COMPACTION"="true") or ("NO_AUTO_COMPACTION"="false"), the default is "false" – see Hive Transactions.
  • TBLPROPERTIES ("auto.purge"="true") or ("auto.purge"="false") in release 1.2.0+ (HIVE-9118) – see Drop Table and Drop Partitions.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Master Mentor

@Artem Ervits - this is the way then, Thank you! - I will explore further now.

Explorer

As far as I understand, tblproperties is just a list of key/value pairs. You can specify whatever you want on it (even if it's not predefined, e.g. 'weather'='warm'). But of course there must be code logic that interprets your tblproperties and do something, otherwise it's useless.