Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Hive in HDP 2.4 and ALTERs

Contributor

Hello

we are currently running HDP-2.3.4.0-3485 with Hive ACID and, after upgrading in our staging env to HDP-2.4.2.0-258, we cannot ALTER tables with partitions anymore.

Here is an example of a query and the error

ALTER TABLE clicks_new CHANGE COLUMN billing billing STRUCT<

Error: Error while processing statement: FAILED: Execution Error, return code 1 from org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.DDLTask. Changing from type struct<cost:float,originalCost:float,currency:string,currencyExchangeRate:float,bid:struct<id:string,amount:float,originalAmount:float,currency:string,currencyExchangeRate:float>,revenue:float,revenueCurrency:string,publisherRevenue:float> to struct<cost:float,originalCost:float,currency:string,currencyExchangeRate:float,bid:struct<id:string,amount:float,originalAmount:float,currency:string,currencyExchangeRate:float>,revenue:float,revenueCurrency:string,publisherRevenue:float,revenueCurrencyExchangeRate:float> is not supported for column billing. SerDe may be incompatible (state=08S01,code=1)

This used to work with HDP-2.3, and I know it's something disabled on purpose and that will come back with HDP-2.5 and Hive 2.0, but my question is: is there some setting to re-enable the old feature (with all its limits) as in HDP-2.3?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Super Guru

@Davide Ferrari

Unfortunately, no. This issue is fixed in Hive 1.3/2.0. See: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HIVE-11421

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Super Guru

@Davide Ferrari

Unfortunately, no. This issue is fixed in Hive 1.3/2.0. See: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HIVE-11421

Contributor

Thanks for you answer @Constantin Stanca even if I'm sorry to hear it 😞 Well, we'll update to latest 2.3 and wait eagerly for 2.5. Do you have a more or less estimate on when 2.5 will be released as stable?

Super Guru

HDP 2.5 will be released end of August, beginning of September. Just a few weeks...

Master Guru

HDP 2.5 is out now