Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Hive managed table doesn't work in with non transactional in hive 3

Rising Star

I have enabled ACID transactions in Hive-3 within HDP-3 at cluster level. When i am trying to disable it on session level using below properties and creating new managed table using this (TBLPROPERTIES ('orc.compress'='ZLIB'),('transactional'='true')) table properties. It's giving below error :

set hive.optimize.index.filter=false;

set hive.txn.manager=org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.lockmgr.DummyTxnManager ;

set hive.compactor.initiator.on=false;

set hive.compactor.worker.threads=0;

set hive.strict.managed.tables=false;

INFO : Starting task [Stage-0:DDL] in serial mode ERROR : FAILED: Execution Error, return code 1 from org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.DDLTask. MetaException(message:Table ref_edw4x_qn1useh1.dummy failed strict managed table checks due to the following reason: Table is marked as a managed table but is not transactional.) INFO : Completed executing command(queryId=hive_20181207104022_6a3478f0-9b8a-44db-a9a4-4d2ab5fe2b11); Time taken: 0.076 seconds Error: Error while processing statement: FAILED: Execution Error, return code 1 from org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.DDLTask. MetaException(message:Table ref_edw4x_qn1useh1.dummy failed strict managed table checks due to the following reason: Table is marked as a managed table but is not transactional.) (state=08S01,code=1)

4 REPLIES 4

Expert Contributor

Hi @arjun more,

could you please provide step by step how to reproduce this?

Regards,

AQ

Contributor

Hello,

I told you that I had the same problem and make the following changes to my hive configuration.

106745-1551460267690.png

I'm still checking the performance of hive by changing these settings, but at least it lets me create tables.

regards

Contributor

Hello again,

I commented to you that I found something additional, apparently the configuration "hive.strict.managed.tables" is in two configuration blocks and the value of "True" must be changed to "False" in both.

I attached an image

regards

107201-1552510752109.png

New Contributor

thanks works for me
HDP3.1.4
presto-340