Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Hive metastore database (or tables) manual replication!

Hive metastore database (or tables) manual replication!

Expert Contributor

Hi,

My question is, after using DistCp to transfert all the HDFS data to a second cluster, can I replicate the whole hive metastore database (manualy or using DB HA..) to accomplish the backup/restore ?or I should import/export only some specefic hive metastore tables ?

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Hive metastore database (or tables) manual replication!

Explorer

Are you using The BDR tool available with a cloudera Enterprise license?

If that is the case then you probably should be using that tool and two separate Hive Metastores. No DB copying required. (I am trying this now - I am no expert yet :-)

If you don't then you might consider having a shared metastore. Does that work for you?

But finally if all you are doing is creating a Disaster Recovery type backup then I would assume you need all the tables in the Hive Metastore. But that is a guess.

Expert Contributor

I'm not using the BDR.

I want to make a hot backup cluster, so I'll test to replicate the whole metastore database every X minutes and see the results.

Thanks for your replies.

Super Guru

@AcharkiMed,

If you cannot use BDR Hive replication (https://www.cloudera.com/documentation/enterprise/latest/topics/cm_bdr_hive_replication.html)

Then one option to replicate is to copy the database.  I know it has been done but I'm not sure of the steps.

I would recommend inquiring in a new thread on the Hive Community message board.