Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Hive queries in Ambari stay in 'running'-status

Contributor

Hi, I've installed a local HDP 2.3.2 Sandbox using VirtualBox. When I execute any query in Hive via Ambari (currently following Hello World tutorial) it most of the time keeps 'running' without results. Yarn job scheduler does not show any running jobs. I already saw a similar issue on this forum where it was solved by an Ambari restart, but in my case restarting does not solve it. What could be the problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Contributor

Thanks Neeraj. I did some more testing with my VM resources and also created another HDP Sandbox on Azure (A5 2 cores 14GB). It seems that the problem is browser-dependent since with all VM instances the problem randomly occurs while using Internet Explorer but not using Firefox. Anyhow, at least for now I can proceed, thanks again.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Master Mentor
@Michel Meulpolder

VM configuration matters a lot. Hope you have enough memory and resources.

Try running the same query using hive cli

login to vm using ssh as root

su - hdfs

hive

run query from hive cli and see if its working or not.

It might be due to missing home directories in HDFS. Depending on how you run the queries, you can try running the below:

#needed to run queries from Hive view in Ambari
sudo -u hdfs hdfs dfs -mkdir /user/admin
sudo -u hdfs hdfs dfs -chown admin /user/admin

#needed to run hive from CLI, when logged in as root
sudo -u hdfs hdfs dfs -mkdir /user/root
sudo -u hdfs hdfs dfs -chown root /user/root

#needed to run beeline from CLI
sudo -u hdfs hdfs dfs -mkdir /user/anonymous
sudo -u hdfs hdfs dfs -chown anonymous /user/anonymous

Contributor

Thanks Ali. I checked the directories and the above did not exist, but this does not seem to be the problem. When I use another browser it seems the queries run succesfully (see comment below).

Contributor

Thanks Neeraj. I did some more testing with my VM resources and also created another HDP Sandbox on Azure (A5 2 cores 14GB). It seems that the problem is browser-dependent since with all VM instances the problem randomly occurs while using Internet Explorer but not using Firefox. Anyhow, at least for now I can proceed, thanks again.

Master Mentor
@Michel Meulpolder

I have accepted this as best answer because you were able to proceed by changing the browser. Hope it's ok

Contributor

Thanks Neeraj