Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Hive regenerate tables question

Hive regenerate tables question

Contributor

Hi,

I have some staging tables in hdfs, to improve performance, i generate new tables with new partitions (year/month) to reduce the number of files and increase the file size, also there are couple tables are change logs, so i also generate new tables to store the latest from them.

What are some the options to automate this approach, we need maybe nightly to re-create/update the current month's partition, and re-generate/update the tables with the latest data.

Thanks

Shannon

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Hive regenerate tables question

Champion

From 0.14 only supports update but with one condition it only supports ORC format . 

Many migrate to KUDU for CRUD operations ? is that something you would consider ?

Kudu 

CREATE TABLE sample_partitioning_table (name string,age int , PRIMARY KEY(year,month,day))
RANGE(year, month) (
 PARTITION VALUE = (2017, 01),
 PARTITION VALUE = (2017, 02),
 PARTITION VALUE = (2017, 03),
 ) STORED AS KUDU;

Hive  - 

Basically perform a ALTER TABLE add a new partition set the new location , but the old data needs to be manually dropped . its just the pain in the back . 

Re: Hive regenerate tables question

Contributor

Thanks, sorry if i was not clear.

My staging is partitioned by year/month/day, there are many small sized files, so i create new tables partitioned by year/month that are built from the staging tables. So say for the current month, i need to update the new tables to add the new data. My understand is that it is not just appending, in new tables i have 1-3 files in each partition, it is not just keep appending to a file? at some point it might need a new file, is it better to drop the current month and regenerate from staing table.

Thanks

Shannon

Don't have an account?
Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here