Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

How are offsets reset in kafka 0.11

Contributor

I'm using kafka 0.11. I'm trying to reset the offset of a topic in a consumer group but don't see consistency among the option. How is the offset calculated for different options in kafka-consumer-groups ?

user1@xxxxxxxxxxxx:~$ kafka-consumer-groups.sh --bootstrap-server xxxxxxxxxxxx.devkafka.com:9092 --group testgroup --reset-offsets--by-duration PT1H30M0S--topic Test_Upgrade --export --command-config client.properties 2>/dev/null

Test_Upgrade,1,615

Test_Upgrade,0,625

user1@xxxxxxxxxxxx:~$ dateThu May 31 15:30:45 BST 2018

user1@xxxxxxxxxxx:~$ kafka-consumer-groups.sh --bootstrap-server xxxxxxxxxxxx.devkafka.com:9092 --group testgroup --reset-offsets--to-datetime 2018-05-31T14:00:00.000--topic Test_Upgrade --export --command-config client.properties 2>/dev/null

Test_Upgrade,1,754

Test_Upgrade,0,772

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Expert Contributor

by-duration is specified relative to the current time, but --to-datetime is in UTC unless otherwise specified. Since you are on BST (British Summer Time), you'd need to use UTC+1, specifying "--to-datetime 2018-05-31T14:00:00.000+01" to get the same result - assuming I have my ISO standards right...

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Expert Contributor

by-duration is specified relative to the current time, but --to-datetime is in UTC unless otherwise specified. Since you are on BST (British Summer Time), you'd need to use UTC+1, specifying "--to-datetime 2018-05-31T14:00:00.000+01" to get the same result - assuming I have my ISO standards right...

Contributor

Thanks @William Brooks will try that. From my initial checks, it seems working

Expert Contributor

Glad it worked! If this answer helps, please mark it as an accepted answer, too!