Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

How do i make Upgrade Plan for HDP version using Ambari in spreadsheet.

Contributor

We are Novice to Hadoop.Started working few months back. Now, time to take first time Upgrade of HDP.

We are trying to prepare Upgrade Plan for HDP New version in that, We are looking step-by-step process for UPGRADE.Additionaly, we can remember the previous configuration of PHD cluster Later on.

We Would like to know , if we can transform documentation into simple parameters which we can refer at the time of Upgrades.

Thanks in advance !

Your time is always valuable for me

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Master Guru

Ah, okay, I understand now. Steps are already given in the Ambari Upgrade guide, though some of them have many details, and talk about other OS like Suse and Ubuntu, and talk about Kerberos yes/no, Ganglia yes/no and so on. You can extract only steps applicable to your cluster from Chapters 2, 3, and 4 of the guide:

• Chapter 2. Getting Ready to Upgrade Ambari and HDP
  • Chapter 3. Upgrading Ambari
  • Chapter 4. Upgrading HDP

and then as you proceed with the upgrade you can mark completed steps, and for each step you can write down any comments/observations to refer to them later.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Master Guru

I'm not sure what exactly do you want to do. What do you mean by "related parameters"? If you want to save all cluster configuration properties before the upgrade you can extract a blueprint

curl -u admin:admin -H "X-Requested-By: ambari" http://<ambari-server-fqdn>:8080/api/v1/clusters/:clusterName?format=blueprint

and convert its json output to csv and import in Excel. You can do the same after the upgrade and compare output. Some people do that. However, you can check all config property changes using the "History" feature of Ambari by comparing config versions before and after the upgrade for each service. As for the upgrade itself just follow the Ambari Upgrade guide (and don't skip any step!).

Contributor

Thanks for command. We wanted to prepare Upgrade plan using Spreadsheet with actual steps for Upgrade hdp stack using Ambari. We wanted to follow the steps of process at the time of upgrade. But not sure where to start the process. and what are step -by-step commands involve in it.

Master Guru

Ah, okay, I understand now. Steps are already given in the Ambari Upgrade guide, though some of them have many details, and talk about other OS like Suse and Ubuntu, and talk about Kerberos yes/no, Ganglia yes/no and so on. You can extract only steps applicable to your cluster from Chapters 2, 3, and 4 of the guide:

• Chapter 2. Getting Ready to Upgrade Ambari and HDP
  • Chapter 3. Upgrading Ambari
  • Chapter 4. Upgrading HDP

and then as you proceed with the upgrade you can mark completed steps, and for each step you can write down any comments/observations to refer to them later.