Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

How long does it take for ranger policies to refresh? Is there a way to force policies to take effect?

Explorer

I have loaded a dataset into Hive and created policies in Ranger on top. I am demonstrating this to an audience. So I wish to change the policy and then use the Hive View in Ambari and Tableau to show how the different policies enable and restrict access. Right now it seems like I have to wait couple minutes for the policies to take effect. How do I force refresh? Change the refresh time? Or even know what it is so I can wait the apporpridate duration.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Super Guru
@Kate Shaw

It normally takes 30secs to refresh policies. You can check the "Plugin" option in ranger UI to check if the policy is getting sync or not.There is no option to force policies.

I see there is option in each service plugin in Ambari to define time interval. Example for HDFS service is shown below

In Ambari UI->HDFS->Services->Configs->"Advance ranger-hdfs-security" you can change the poll interval here[refresh time].

9466-screen-shot-2016-11-16-at-121145-am.png

Check few link which can help to understand better - https://community.hortonworks.com/questions/13070/ranger-policy-is-not-applied.html

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Ranger plugins refresh policies from ranger admin every 30 seconds. You can monitor this in Ranger UI -> Audit -> plugins screen and notice when the changes have been downloaded.

Super Guru
@Kate Shaw

It normally takes 30secs to refresh policies. You can check the "Plugin" option in ranger UI to check if the policy is getting sync or not.There is no option to force policies.

I see there is option in each service plugin in Ambari to define time interval. Example for HDFS service is shown below

In Ambari UI->HDFS->Services->Configs->"Advance ranger-hdfs-security" you can change the poll interval here[refresh time].

9466-screen-shot-2016-11-16-at-121145-am.png

Check few link which can help to understand better - https://community.hortonworks.com/questions/13070/ranger-policy-is-not-applied.html