Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise

How to Enable Zookeeper Discovery for HiveServer2 HA

Solved Go to solution

Re: How to Enable Zookeeper Discovery for HiveServer2 HA

Expert Contributor

@Arti Wadhwani Do you have the answer to your question?
I'm trying to do that, connection with zookeeper discovery and specifying the tez queue but it doesn't work

New Contributor

I'm trying to run a dag with airflow 1.10.12 and HDP 3.0.0

when i run the dag it gets stuck in ```Connecting to jdbc:hive2://[Server2_FQDN]:2181,[Server1_FQDN]:2181/default;serviceDiscoveryMode=zooKeeper;zooKeeperNamespace=hiveserver2```

when i run ```beeline -u "jdbc:hive2://[Server1_FQDN]:2181,[Server2_FQDN]:2181/default;serviceDiscoveryMode=zooKeeper;zooKeeperNamespace=hiveserver2"``` from shell, it connect to hive with no problem.
I've also made a connection like this

```
Conn Id *
hive_jdbc
-------------
Conn Type

-------------
Connection URL
jdbc:hive2://centosserver.son.ir:2181,centosclient.son.ir:2181/default;serviceDiscoveryMode=zooKeeper;zooKeeperNamespace=hiveserver2
-------------
Login
hive
-------------
Password
-------------
Driver Path
/usr/hdp/3.0.0.0-1634/hive/jdbc/hive-jdbc-3.1.0.3.0.0.0-1634-standalone.jar
-------------
Driver Class
org.apache.hive.jdbc.HiveDriver

```

and I'm not using kerberos
I've also added ```hive.security.authorization.sqlstd.confwhitelist.append``` in the ambari ```Custom hive-site```

```

radoop\.operation\.id|mapred\.job\.name||airflow\.ctx\.dag_id|airflow\.ctx\.task_id|airflow\.ctx\.execution_date|airflow\.ctx\.dag_run_id|airflow\.ctx\.dag_owner|airflow\.ctx\.dag_email|hive\.warehouse\.subdir\.inherit\.perms|hive\.exec\.max\.dynamic\.partitions|hive\.exec\.max\.dynamic\.partitions\.pernode|spark\.app\.name

```

any suggestions? I'm desperate, I've tried every way that i know but still nothing

@nsabharwal @agillan @msumbul1 @deepesh1 

Guru

There is no need to pass the principal name when zookeeper quorum is being used for JDBC. As long as a valid ticket is available and impersonation settings are appropriate, it will work:

[root@services RHive]# kinit -kt myuser.service.keytab myuser/services.hortonworks.com@HDP.COM
[root@services RHive]# beeline -u "jdbc:hive2://node1.hortonworks.com:2181/;serviceDiscoveryMode=zooKeeper;zooKeeperNamespace=hiveserver2;principal=hive/node1.hortonworks.com@HDP.COM"
Connecting to jdbc:hive2://node1.hortonworks.com:2181/;serviceDiscoveryMode=zooKeeper;zooKeeperNamespace=hiveserver2;principal=hive/node1.hortonworks.com@HDP.COM
Connected to: Apache Hive (version 1.2.1000.2.5.0.0-1245)
Driver: Hive JDBC (version 1.2.1000.2.5.0.0-1245)
Transaction isolation: TRANSACTION_REPEATABLE_READ
Beeline version 1.2.1000.2.5.0.0-1245 by Apache Hive
0: jdbc:hive2://node1.hortonworks.com:2181/> !q
Closing: 0: jdbc:hive2://node1.hortonworks.com:2181/;serviceDiscoveryMode=zooKeeper;zooKeeperNamespace=hiveserver2;principal=hive/node1.hortonworks.com@HDP.COM
[root@services RHive]# beeline -u "jdbc:hive2://node1.hortonworks.com:2181/;serviceDiscoveryMode=zooKeeper;zooKeeperNamespace=hiveserver2"
Connecting to jdbc:hive2://node1.hortonworks.com:2181/;serviceDiscoveryMode=zooKeeper;zooKeeperNamespace=hiveserver2
Connected to: Apache Hive (version 1.2.1000.2.5.0.0-1245)
Driver: Hive JDBC (version 1.2.1000.2.5.0.0-1245)
Transaction isolation: TRANSACTION_REPEATABLE_READ
Beeline version 1.2.1000.2.5.0.0-1245 by Apache Hive
0: jdbc:hive2://node1.hortonworks.com:2181/> !q
Closing: 0: jdbc:hive2://node1.hortonworks.com:2181/;serviceDiscoveryMode=zooKeeper;zooKeeperNamespace=hiveserver2
[root@services RHive]# kdestroy
[root@services RHive]# beeline -u "jdbc:hive2://node1.hortonworks.com:2181/;serviceDiscoveryMode=zooKeeper;zooKeeperNamespace=hiveserver2"
Connecting to jdbc:hive2://node1.hortonworks.com:2181/;serviceDiscoveryMode=zooKeeper;zooKeeperNamespace=hiveserver2
16/11/09 21:57:15 [main]: ERROR transport.TSaslTransport: SASL negotiation failure
javax.security.sasl.SaslException: GSS initiate failed [Caused by GSSException: No valid credentials provided (Mechanism level: Failed to find any Kerberos tgt)]

New Contributor

Your Connection string is :

1. !connect jdbc:hive2://host1.com:2181,host2.com:2181,host3.com:2181;serviceDiscoveryMode=zooKeeper; zooKeeperNamespace=hiveserver2

/ is missing in your connection string after zookeeper ensemble.

Correct connection string is like below.

1. !connect jdbc:hive2://host1.com:2181,host2.com:2181,host3.com:2181/;serviceDiscoveryMode=zooKeeper; zooKeeperNamespace=hiveserver2

How to avoid issues with JDBC connection string ?

(works only in latest versions, tested in HDP 2.5 and HDP 2.6).

1)

Go to hive in Ambari ---> Summary -----> click on left arrow button ----> connection string is copied.

2)

Paste the connection string in beeline