Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

How to SSH into HortonWorks Sandbox using Putty?

New Contributor

Hi!

I have successfully downloaded and installed Hortonworks Sandbox. And i can bring it up in the Oracle Virtual Box. Now, i want to SSH into it. I am using Putty, i am n Windows 7. But every time i try to login as 'root' with password 'hadoop'; it says access denied. Could anyone please provide any pointers as to what could be going wrong? Screenshots below.

Thanks, in advance.

904-sandbox.png

905-putty1.png

906-putty2.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Master Guru

Goto terminal of your sandbox in oracle virtualBox --> Press <Alt+F5> --> enter username - root --> enter password - hadoop --> it will ask you to set new password --> set new password --> then try to login via putty using new credentials

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

Master Guru

Goto terminal of your sandbox in oracle virtualBox --> Press <Alt+F5> --> enter username - root --> enter password - hadoop --> it will ask you to set new password --> set new password --> then try to login via putty using new credentials

New Contributor

@Kuldeep Kulkarni

Thanks for your response and do excuse me if this sounds silly; am just getting started. Issue is this, once the virtual box comes up, typing "Alt+F5" doesn't do anything. Where am i going wrong? I tried changing the input preference to "Auto capture keyboard" by clicking the box on and off, still not working.

900-sandbox1.png

Guru

Hi @jb brahma ,

you just have to click into the VirtualBox window (the black terminal screen) to put the focus on it. Afterwards you can get to the login screen by hitting Alt+F5

1139-virtualbox-login.png

Regards, Gerd

The Sandbox also comes with browser based ssh client (Shell in the box).

First bring up the Sandbox splash screen by entering the URL displayed in the console. By default it should be http://127.0.0.1:8888 for VirtualBox.

Then go to the first tab "get started" and click the "View Advance Options". This will list a collection of additional URLs and credentials for additional tools in the sandbox including shell in the box.

New Contributor

@Rafael Coss: 'root' with password 'hadoop' does not work in browser-based Sandbox. i can get into Hue but not in the shell. i am waiting reply from @jb brahma.

thanks.

New Contributor

@jb thanks for posting. I am having same problem. were you able to resolve the issue ?

New Contributor

I've got a similar problem. I can ssh with root/hadoop but I can't change the password. Doing it from an ssh client closes the connection with a 'Connection to 127.0.0.1 closed.' message as soon as enter a new password. And logging in via hte sandbox keeps resetting to the login screen.

Contributor

If the password changing prompt is not coming please do the following that works for me :

9571-hortonworks-blog1.png

Just use the ALT+F5 in splash screen -> enter root/hadoop as use name and password -> type passwd (to change the password of root user) -> write two times the new desired password you want.

And use the same password into any client like putty/MobaXterm or you name it. (all the connection details will be the same port is 2222 and host would be localhost/127.0.0.1 will work)

Hope this would help.

Explorer

This was very useful! I am able to change the password from hadoop to something else and exit from shell and relogin with new password. Thanks for this Indrajeet!