Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

How to access Hive in CLI using non Root users in HDP 2. 5 ??

Expert Contributor

Hi,

Can i login to hive using non root user through CLI and what are the different and easiest way to access hive. Please note that my environment is kerberized.

Thanks you,

Subash

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Super Guru

@subash sharmayes you can access hive cli after getting the valid kerberos credential for non-root user, given that this user belongs to hdfs group.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Super Guru

@subash sharmayes you can access hive cli after getting the valid kerberos credential for non-root user, given that this user belongs to hdfs group.

Expert Contributor
@Rajkumar Singh

Hey Raj Thanks for the quick response. Can you please send me the syntax to list down users in HDFS as well as in Kerberos.

Super Guru

try with ambari-qa

klist -kt /etc/security/keytabs/smokeuser.headless.keytab

Keytab name: FILE:/etc/security/keytabs/smokeuser.headless.keytab

KVNO Timestamp Principal

---- ----------------- --------------------------------------------------------

1 11/22/16 11:24:27 ambari-qa-rks242secure@EXAMPLE.COM

then obtain ticket

kinit -kt /etc/security/keytabs/smokeuser.headless.keytab ambari-qa-rks242secure@EXAMPLE.COM

Expert Contributor

Hey @Rajkumar can you please send me the syntax to login to hive cli for normal non root users and kerberos primcipals

Super Guru

after getting these credential using above command just do execute hive

please note Hive CLI is not supported by Ranger.

Please use beeline as it is the CLI for HiveServer2, the hive CLI (and HiveServer1) is deprecated. Syntax to connect to kerberized Hive is

beeline -u jdbc:hive2://<HIVE_HOST_FQDN>:10000;principal=hive/<hive_host_fqdn>@YOUR.REALM

You must kinit first. You will authenticate to HiveServer2 using the credentials associated with the Kerberos principal that you use to request a TGT from your KDC.

Users that can authenticate to HS2 don't need to be part of the hdfs group. They need to be present as Kerberos principals in the KDC for the realm which you used to kerberize the cluster, or within some other realm that is trusted by the former.