Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here. Want to know more about what has changed? Check out the Community News blog.

How to apply Regex pattern on a Dataframe's String columns in scala?

Highlighted

How to apply Regex pattern on a Dataframe's String columns in scala?

Contributor

I have a dataframe yeadDF, created by reading an RDBMS table as below:

val yearDF = spark.read.format("jdbc").option("url", connectionUrl)
                                                .option("dbtable", s"(${query}) as year2017")
                                                .option("user", devUserName)
                                                .option("password", devPassword)
                                                .option("numPartitions",15)
                                                .load()

I have to apply a regex pattern to the above dataframe before ingesting it into Hive table on HDFS. Below is the regex pattern:

regexp_replace(regexp_replace(regexp_replace(regexp_replace(regexp_replace(%s, E'[\\\\n]+', ' ', 'g' ), E'[\\\\r]+', ' ', 'g' ), E'[\\\\t]+', ' ', 'g' ), E'[\\\\cA]+', ' ', 'g' ), E'[\\\\ca]+', ' ', 'g' )

I should be applying this regex only on the columns that are of datatype String in the dataframe:

yearDF

. I tried the following way:

val regExpr = yearDF.schema.fields.map(x => if(x.dataType == String)
"regexp_replace(regexp_replace(regexp_replace(regexp_replace(regexp_replace(%s, E'[\\\\n]+', ' ', 'g' ), E'[\\\\r]+', ' ', 'g' ), E'[\\\\t]+', ' ', 'g' ), E'[\\\\cA]+', ' ', 'g' ), E'[\\\\ca]+', ' ', 'g' ) as %s".format(x,x))
yearDF.selectExpr(regExpr:_*)

But it gives me a compilation error:

Type mismatch, expected: Seq[String], actual: Array[Any]

I cannot use: 

yearDF.columns.map

as this will act on all the columns and I am unable to properly form the logic here. Could anyone let me know how can I apply the regex mentioned above on the dataframe:yearDF only on the columns that are of String type ?

2 REPLIES 2

Re: How to apply Regex pattern on a Dataframe's String columns in scala?

Master Collaborator

I assume the type mismatch is because you dont have defined the else in the if statement.

Then the result is just Any.

Type mismatch, expected: Seq[String], actual: Array[Any]

val regExpr = yearDF.schema.fields.map(x => if(x.dataType == String) { your_regex(x) } else { some_expression_returning_string } )
yearDF.selectExpr(regExpr:_*)

Re: How to apply Regex pattern on a Dataframe's String columns in scala?

New Contributor

Hi,

I also faced similar issues while applying regex_replace() to only strings columns of a dataframe.
The trick is to make regEx pattern (in my case "pattern") that resolves inside the double quotes and also apply escape characters.

val pattern="\"\\\\[\\\\x{FFFD}\\\\x{0}\\\\x{1F}\\\\x{81}\\\\x{8D}\\\\x{8F}\\\\x{90}\\\\x{9D}\\\\x{A0}\\\\x{0380}\\\\]\""

val regExpr = parq_out_df_temp.schema.fields.map(x =>
if(x.dataType == StringType){"regexp_replace(%s, $pattern,'') as %s".format(x.name,x.name)}
else x.name)

val parq_out=parq_out_df_temp.selectExpr(regExpr:_*)

This worked fine for me !!