Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

How to convert hive table format to ORC

Explorer

I have a super large json file and I have created an external hive table to read the file which is partitioned by date and hour. However, I ran into out-of-memory error when pulling out data for just one day. 

For now the output is stored in the text format. I learnt that I should convert it into ORC file.

INSERT OVERWRITE TABLE table_name_orc 
SELECT * FROM table_name

But in the code snippet above, SELECT * FROM table_name does not work because I could not extract everything out of the external table due to the memory issue.

Any help would be appreciated!

2 REPLIES 2

Explorer

Try to minimize the batches you insert, you can do it either;

1- insert range of partitions, by using where clause 

For example assuming table partioned by date;

INSERT OVERWRITE TABLE t1 partition(`date`) 
SELECT * FROM t2
WHERE `date` BETWEEN date1 AND date2

2- Or you can create a bash loop over the partitions to insert a partition each time.

using show partitions command

Explorer

1. The JSON file is stored in a s3 bucket. If I insert data into the internal table and somehow accidentally drop the table, is the json data also dropped?

2. But the problem is even if I try to insert by hour (which is the smallest unit of chunk size), it runs into memory issue. I could only fetch top 900 rows within a one-hour window while there are on average 1B+ rows.

I am running it on Tez and 'org.openx.data.jsonserde.JsonSerDe' is the serde I used to create the external table.