Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

How to decide Zookeeper's snapshot file policy

ZooKeeper server creates snapshot and log files, but never deletes them. So we need to care about the retention policy. How to decide on the right amount of remaining Zookeeper snapshot files?

Need to say that ZooKeeper server itself only needs the latest complete fuzzy snapshot and the log files from the start of that snapshot. But since ZooKeeper creates a backup of snapshot file, how many ZooKeeper snapshot backups do we need to retain?

Sometimes snapshots can be corrupted, so the backup of snapshot files should take this into consideration. In our ZooKeeper server we saw that snapshot backup is created each day. Example of snapshot file from my ZooKeeper server:

-rw-r--r-- 1 ZooKeeper hadoop 458138861 Aug 10 07:12 snapshot.19000329d1
-rw-r--r-- 1 ZooKeeper hadoop 458138266 Aug 10 07:13 snapshot.19000329de
-rw-r--r-- 1 ZooKeeper hadoop 458143590 Aug 10 09:24 snapshot.1900032d7a
-rw-r--r-- 1 ZooKeeper hadoop 458142983 Aug 10 09:25 snapshot.1900032d84
-rw-r--r-- 1 ZooKeeper hadoop 458138686 Aug 11 03:42 snapshot.1900034b74
-rw-r--r-- 1 ZooKeeper hadoop 458138686 Aug 12 01:51 snapshot.1900036fa3
-rw-r--r-- 1 ZooKeeper hadoop 458138079 Aug 12 03:03 snapshot.1900037196
-rw-r--r-- 1 ZooKeeper hadoop 458138686 Aug 12 03:08 snapshot.19000371c8
-rw-r--r-- 1 ZooKeeper hadoop 458138432 Aug 12 03:09 snapshot.19000371de
-rw-r--r-- 1 ZooKeeper hadoop 458138091 Aug 12 12:02 snapshot.1900038053
-rw-r--r-- 1 ZooKeeper hadoop 458138091 Aug 12 18:04 snapshot.1900038a39
-rw-r--r-- 1 ZooKeeper hadoop 458138091 Aug 13 13:01 snapshot.190003a923
-rw-r--r-- 1 ZooKeeper hadoop 2 Aug 13 13:01 currentEpoch
-rw-r--r-- 1 ZooKeeper hadoop 67108880 Aug 13 21:17 log.190002d2ce

Michael-Bronson
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Master Mentor

@mike_bronson7 
Let me try to answer all your 3 questions in a shot [snapshot]

Zookeeper has 2 types of logs the snapshot and transactional log files. As changes are made to the znodes i.e addition or deletion of znodes these changes are appended to a transaction log, occasionally, when a log grows large, a snapshot of the current state of all znodes will be written to the filesystem. This snapshot supersedes all previous logs.

To put you in context it's like the edit-logs and the fsimage in Namenode architecture, all changes made in the HDFS is logged in the edits-logs in secondary Namenode when a checkpoint kick in it merges the edits log with the old fsimage to incorporate the changes ever since the last checkpoint.

So zk snapshot is synonym to the fsimage as it contains the current state of the znode entries and ACL's

Snapshot policy
In the earlier command shared the snapshot count parameter -n <count> if you really want to have sleep then you can increment it to 5 or 7 but I think 3 suffice to use the autopurge feature so I keep only 3 snapshots and 3 transaction logs. When enabled, ZooKeeper auto-purge feature retains the autopurge.snapRetainCount most recent snapshots and the corresponding transaction logs in the dataDir and dataLogDir respectively and deletes the rest. Defaults to 3. The minimum value is 3.

Corrupt snapshots
The Zookeeper might not be able to read its database and fail to come up because of some file corruption in the transaction logs of the ZooKeeper server.

You will see some IOException on loading the ZooKeeper database. In such a case, make sure all the other servers in your ensemble are up and working. Use the 4 letters command "stat" command on the command port to see if they are in good health. After you have verified that all the other servers of the ensemble are up, you can go ahead and clean the database of the corrupt server.

Solution

• Delete all the files in datadir/version-2 and datalogdir/version-2/.
  • Restart the server.

Hope that helps

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Master Mentor

@mike_bronson7 

A ZooKeeper server will not remove old snapshots and log files when using the default configuration auto-purge this is the responsibility of the operator as every environment is different and therefore the requirements of managing these files may differ from install to install.

The PurgeTxnLog utility implements a simple retention policy that administrators can use. In the below example the last count snapshots and their corresponding logs are retained and the others are deleted. The value of <<count>> should typically be greater than 3 although not required; this provides 3 backups in the unlikely event a recent log has become corrupted. This can be run as a cron job on the ZooKeeper server machines to clean up the logs daily.

java -cp zookeeper.jar:lib/slf4j-api-1.6.1.jar:lib/slf4j-log4j12-1.6.1.jar:lib/log4j-1.2.15.jar:conf org.apache.zookeeper.server.PurgeTxnLog <dataDir> <snapDir> -n <count>

Automatic purging of the snapshots and corresponding transaction logs was introduced in version 3.4.0 and can be enabled via the following configuration parameters

autopurge.snapRetainCount 

and 

autopurge.purgeInterval

Hope that helps!

so if you not recommended on 3 backup ( I feel you recommended more then 3 )  , then what is the count of backup that we can sleep well -:)

Michael-Bronson

can you also explain the differences between snapshot to log in zookeeper under Version-2 ?

Michael-Bronson

another question - lets say the last snapshot is corrupted , then how zookeeper know to take the good snapshot before the last ?

Michael-Bronson

Master Mentor

@mike_bronson7 
Let me try to answer all your 3 questions in a shot [snapshot]

Zookeeper has 2 types of logs the snapshot and transactional log files. As changes are made to the znodes i.e addition or deletion of znodes these changes are appended to a transaction log, occasionally, when a log grows large, a snapshot of the current state of all znodes will be written to the filesystem. This snapshot supersedes all previous logs.

To put you in context it's like the edit-logs and the fsimage in Namenode architecture, all changes made in the HDFS is logged in the edits-logs in secondary Namenode when a checkpoint kick in it merges the edits log with the old fsimage to incorporate the changes ever since the last checkpoint.

So zk snapshot is synonym to the fsimage as it contains the current state of the znode entries and ACL's

Snapshot policy
In the earlier command shared the snapshot count parameter -n <count> if you really want to have sleep then you can increment it to 5 or 7 but I think 3 suffice to use the autopurge feature so I keep only 3 snapshots and 3 transaction logs. When enabled, ZooKeeper auto-purge feature retains the autopurge.snapRetainCount most recent snapshots and the corresponding transaction logs in the dataDir and dataLogDir respectively and deletes the rest. Defaults to 3. The minimum value is 3.

Corrupt snapshots
The Zookeeper might not be able to read its database and fail to come up because of some file corruption in the transaction logs of the ZooKeeper server.

You will see some IOException on loading the ZooKeeper database. In such a case, make sure all the other servers in your ensemble are up and working. Use the 4 letters command "stat" command on the command port to see if they are in good health. After you have verified that all the other servers of the ensemble are up, you can go ahead and clean the database of the corrupt server.

Solution

• Delete all the files in datadir/version-2 and datalogdir/version-2/.
  • Restart the server.

Hope that helps