Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

How to give permissions to users in hive

How to give permissions to users in hive

New Contributor

I have created a fresh cluster , Hive is not allowing me to enter using the root user( Linux ) and even tried with HDFS user . However I'm able to login as user hive and able to run queries. How can I provide access to any user in Hive.For example,I have a local linux users

it_dev

it_admin.

1. How can I grant permissions to use hive from their login . They are Ldap users by default.

2.How can I grant permissions to specific databases and restrict them with ( create /delete/update).

I'm sure this is very basic question . I haven't find any good document in Internet . Could anyone here please describe for everyone in the forum . I can understand this can be managed by Ranger . However we do not want Ranger in our system now . Please assist me

1 REPLY 1

Re: How to give permissions to users in hive

Mentor

@ Raj ji

Yes if it's an HDP cluster Ranger is the only tool to make your administration for Authorization easy else it_dev,it_admin users can individually create their databases which won't be shareable. Unfortunately, even on CDH you have sentry which remind me of Oracle Admin where the permission/authorization is a 3 step and CLI based.

Sentry

• Create role;
  • grant role permissions,
  • Grant role to users
  • Advantage of Ranger

• Centralized security administration to manage all security-related tasks in a central UI or using REST APIs.
    • Fine-grained authorization to do a specific action and/or operation with Hadoop component/tool and managed through a central administration tool
    • Standardize authorization method across all Hadoop components.
    • Enhanced support for different authorization methods - Role-based access control, Geolocalized, Time-based, UDF,attribute-based access control etc.
    • Centralize auditing of user access and administrative actions (security related) within all the components of Hadoop.
    • So your only option is to have each user create own database and tables , there is no concept of grant user X select, create etc in hive.

Hope that helps

Don't have an account?
      Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here